The general educational aim of the “History of Societies, Institutions, and Thought. From Medieval to Contemporary History” doctorate is uniform for all curricula, even though differing themes and perspectives are explored depending on the specific area of interest.
The doctorate intends to train scholars able to identify broad scientific problems of historical or philosophical nature; plan and carry out studies organically connected to the chosen area of research, identify and make competent use of necessary sources or critically analyze data, texts, themes, concepts and methods; identify and make use of an international bibliography; organize and present the material they have gathered and composed a scientific text. The program focuses on an interdisciplinary approach based on a global, diachronic and comparative perspective.
- History of Borders and Frontiers
- Society, Economy, Institutions
- Cultural, Commercial and Religious Exchange from a Transnational Perspective
- History of Thought and Philosophies
The training provided during the three-year program aims to:
- produce scientific results worthy of presentation at conferences and/or publication in monographic form or in specialized journals;
- build up the argumentative and communicative experience by way of frequent seminars and workshops;
- increase disposition of teamwork and interaction with other researchers.
Job placement opportunities
The doctoral training should provide the PhD graduates with the skills that are needed not only to pursue appropriate research activities in academia (historical and philosophical research and teaching in Italian and foreign universities), an Italian or foreign school or in public and private institutions, but also to hold positions of great responsibility in different professional fields:
- Culture and communication: publishing, cultural and scientific journalism, direction and management of museums, libraries, archives and research centers, ministries, public administration, associations and public and private institutions.
- Scientific-cultural planning: experts in European, cross-border, regional planning.
- Cultural and creative companies with high know-how (see European program "Creative Europe" 2014-2020)
For historians are opening up interesting perspectives in the field of public history
Lines of research
- CURRICULUM: History of Borders and Frontiers
- CURRICULUM: Society, Economy, Institutions
- CURRICULUM: Cultural, Commercial and Religious Exchanges in Transnational Perspective
- CURRICULUM: History of Thought and Philosophies
The scholarships are awarded for 3 years and their yearly amount is € 15.343,28 gross (approximatively € 1130 net per month).
Admission is based on a competitive examination.
The Call for Applications (Notice of Competition) is available on http://www2.units.it/dott/en/?file=DottBandi.inc
For more information on the Programme, please consult http://www2.units.it/dotstoriafil/
About the School
Founded in 1924, the University of Trieste is a medium-sized university with a student population of approximately 16,000. It offers a wide range of degree programmes at bachelor, master and doctoral ... Read More