Internet of Things (IoT) is among the pillars in the “Internet Plus” action plan in China, presented in the Chinese Government’s work report in 2015. The Internet of Things Thrust Area under the Information Hub at HKUST(GZ) is established to grow HKUST’s strength in wireless communications and networking, and contribute to the nation’s drive to become a world leader in IoT. The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Program in Internet of Things is offered as an integral part of the endeavor to become a world-renowned IoT research center with the mission to advance applied research in IoT as well as fundamental research relevant to the application areas.
The Ph.D. Program aims to train students in conducting original research in IoT and to cultivate independent, interdisciplinary, and innovative thinking that is essential for a successful career in IoT-related industry and/or academia. A Ph.D. graduate is expected to demonstrate mastery of knowledge in the chosen discipline and the ability to synthesize and create new knowledge, making an original and substantial scientific contribution to the discipline.
On successful completion of the Ph.D. program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of knowledge of the literature and a comprehensive understanding of scientific research relevant to IoT;
- Demonstrate theoretical skills in understanding IoT research;
- Critically evaluate theories, methodologies, and knowledge to address fundamental research questions in IoT;
- Independently conduct original research and make significant scientific contributions to the IoT discipline; and
- Demonstrate competent skills in oral and written communication for the dissemination of thesis results in the scientific community.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
i. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a master's degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if:
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
This program is for HKUST(Guangzhou) Pilot Scheme Admission.
For more program information, please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs.
About the School
Situated at the heart of Asia, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a young and distinguished research university in Hong Kong. Ranked No. 27 in the World in the QS World Univ ... Read More