The Division of Life Science offers rigorous postgraduate programs and research opportunities in a range of cutting-edge areas in the field, particularly in neuroscience, structural biology, cell, and developmental biology, marine and environmental biology, and biotechnology.
We strive to provide an inspirational environment for student learning and for tackling the challenges of modern life science.
Our mission is to sustain and promulgate a reputable academic program in life science by achieving excellence in research and education, and by making significant contributions to biotechnological innovations in regional and international arenas.
The Ph.D. program aims to cultivate doctoral graduates who can independently conduct advanced research projects, who possess both a broad knowledge of modern life science and in-depth knowledge of specialized areas, and who can also contribute original knowledge to the field of life sciences by publishing their findings in peer-reviewed international journals. Students must also pass a qualifying examination set by the Division. Submission and successful defense of a thesis is required.
Research and development within the Division of Life Science emphasize the following areas:
- Cellular Regulation and Signaling
- Cancer Biology
- Developmental Biology
- Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience
- Macromolecular Structure and Function
- Marine and Environmental Science
- Biotechnology and Medicinal Biochemistry
i. General Admission Requirements
Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have:
- Obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
You have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments*:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80#
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised Paper-Delivered Test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-scores: 5.5
*If your first language is English, and your bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was English, you will be waived from fulfilling the above English Language requirements.
#refers to the total score in one single attempt
For more program information, please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs
About the School
Situated at the heart of Asia, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a young and distinguished research university in Hong Kong. Ranked No. 27 in the World in the QS World Univ ... Read More