The Department of Management Information Systems in the faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences at Kadir Has University is now offering Turkey’s second Ph.D. program in Management Information Systems starting in Fall 2014. The program is the first of its kind that is offered by an engineering college rather than a business one.
“Let us consider a couple of recently established IT based companies worldwide for a moment: Google, Facebook, Yahoo!, YouTube, Twitter, Amazon, eBay, LinkedIn, FourSquare, Alibaba, etc.”. The market value of each of these companies is measured in terms of billions of USD. Is this a coincidence or is it the new way of business? We believe that the answer is the later. As we progress within the new technological era, many things regarding our lives will dramatically change whether we like it or not. Some of these changes are the way of doing business, social life, entertainment, communication, commercialization, medicine, drug design, education, customer relations, resource planning, logistics, etc.
Thus, “if you are the one who is interested in Information Technology (IT) and its application in organizations and have an interest in conducting research, performing excellent teaching, and in helping to invent a future centered on the application of IT”, then you have a common passion with us. Just drop by and let us have a talk. This may be the first step toward an exciting and promising career for you!
What is Management Information Systems?
The MIS faculty teaches and researches the application, development, and management of information systems in organizations. This includes the study of social networks, cloud computing, IT consumerization, virtual reality, negotiation systems, collaboration technologies, office automation, electronic payments, strategic information systems, electronic commerce, collective intelligence, telemedicine, electronic markets, social media, information requirements analysis, systems development methods, enterprise resource planning systems, systems implementation, adoption, and diffusion, mobile computing, and much more. The information technologies and systems that we teach and research transform people’s lives, jobs and, for industry after industry, business models, products, supply chains, and distribution channels.
We are also interested in the implications of those technologies for people and society; personal privacy, infrastructure dependency, security, safeguarding of intellectual property, and IT-related stress all capture the interest of the MIS faculty. So too do the political implementations of the Internet, the evolution of the field, and IT in developing nations. And that’s just today! Ours is one of the most dynamic fields; the area your dissertation will focus on in several years may not have even been conceived of today.
Some Reasons to Consider a Ph.D. in MIS from Kadir Has University
- The first MIS Ph.D. program offered by an engineering university in the nation,
- Active research projects in healthcare information systems, social media, innovation management, enterprise systems, technology adoption, big data and cyber-infrastructure, and cloud computing
- Research experience in a variety of traditions, such as experimental methods, design science, data mining, and its applications, econometric analysis, and qualitative case-based research, social media, mobile systems, data governance, and design and management of information systems
- Publications in leading journals across multiple disciplines, including all major information systems journals
- Faculty networks with international MIS scholars including North American and European countries.
In addition to furthering your knowledge about information systems, you will be given the opportunity to develop the research skills and mindset necessary to be a successful scholar at leading universities and research institutes as well as government or business organizations. In our seminars, as well as those you will take in other disciplines, you will learn about the research methods, data analysis approaches, and theories that are applicable to your research. You will also gain the necessary teaching expertise and experience.
Duration of studies
Most students require at least four years to complete the doctoral degree including thesis preparation and defense. Normally, you will need two years of formal coursework. Having completed the coursework you are expected to have passed the comprehensive examination and presented a thesis proposal by the end of three years. The university expects from you a six-year overall limit on the time to completion of all the requirements of the doctoral degree.
To be awarded a KHAS Ph.D. in MIS, you must:
- complete courses in the basic disciplines (21 credits)
- satisfy the field requirements in the area of specialization (9 credits)
- pass comprehensive examinations in the field of specialization
- propose and complete a dissertation that is acceptable to the student's dissertation committee
- defend the dissertation before a university examining committee.
What Can I Do With a Management Information Systems Degree?
Graduates with a Ph.D. in MIS often find jobs as systems analysts or as chief technical officers; chief information officer positions, also known as computer and information systems managers, are another possibility. The professionals in these managerial positions work together in order to ensure that a business chooses the right management technologies for the task at hand and that it uses the most effective ways to implement them. Another option for Ph.D. graduates is to teach MIS at the graduate level or to conduct research in designing new informational systems. There are a total of 19 universities with undergraduate programs in MIS and business informatics in Turkey. There a great many vacancies in MIS academic positions. It is highly likely that upon, or close to, your graduation you will obtain an academic position offer.
Some fields of studies for MIS
Systems development, strategic uses of information technology, electronic commerce, behavioral decision-making, database modeling, information requirements determination, telecommunications and network design, adaptive knowledge-based systems, and economic issues in information technology.
The MIS doctoral program is designed to permit maximum flexibility for Ph.D. students to pursue their research interests. Coursework includes Ph.D. seminars, research methods, and data analysis courses, supporting field courses, and, for students without MIS or business backgrounds, foundation MIS, and business courses.
Information on the Institution
MIS department was officially founded in 2013 under the School of Engineering and Natural Sciences. MIS graduate program, however, was established in 2008-2009 under the Institute of Science and Engineering as one of the graduate programs of Information Technologies Department. The first graduates of the MIS graduate program were in the 2010-2011 academic year.
Qualification Awarded/Level of Qualification
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be awarded Master of Science in Management Information Systems (The Qualifications Frameworks in the European Higher Education Area (QF-EHEA): Level 2, European Qualifications Framework (EQF): Level 7)
The applicants of the program are required to hold a B.Sc. degree in Engineering, Letter, and Arts, Business etc. and to have scored at least 55 in the quantitative section of Academic Personnel and Graduate Education Entrance Examination (ALES) and 50 in the Interuniversity Council Language Examination. ALES score requirement is not applicable to international students. International language examinations' (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) scores are acceptable for all applicants according to the equivalencies as imposed by the regulations of the Higher Education Council. The applicants fulfilling these requirements are further interviewed (Detailed information: http://www.khas.edu.tr)
Recognition of Prior Learning
Students are required to successfully complete the curriculum accepted by the Senate corresponding to 120 ECTS credits in total; that is, coursework with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.50/4.00 and an M.S. thesis.
Students are required to successfully complete the curriculum accepted by the Senate corresponding to 240 ECTS credits in total, with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.00/4.00, and a Ph.D. thesis.
Definition of the Program
In MIS graduate program besides the topics of business such as management accounting, finance, sales, marketing, students are required to conduct research in information system analysis and design. Topics of computer and Information system security, decision support systems, protection of data, data mining, e-commerce, database systems, web technologies, cloud computing, mobile technologies, social media, and how these subject affect business activities are thought.
- Ability to understand and apply science, mathematics, statistics, computer and management science at an advanced level.
- Comprehensive, deep and wide knowledge of recent developments in information systems, computer ve management science.
- Ability to conduct research by reaching and comprehending the latest information in her/his specialization area.
- Ability to conduct research that results in an original contribution to science or technology develops a new scientific method or technological product/process or applies a known method to a new area.
- Ability to perceive, design, apply and conclude original processes of research independently; ability to manage these processes.
- Ability to contribute to scientific literature at an international level by publishing the outputs of academic studies in respected academic media.
- Ability to assess scientific, technological, social and cultural developments and to disseminate them respecting scientific neutrality and ethical responsibilities.
- Ability to critically analyze, synthesize and interpret ideas and development in information systems, computer, and management sciences.
- Ability to communicate at an advanced level in written, oral or visual forms with specialists of computer engineering and other disciplines, or wider circles; ability to use English at level C1 of European Language Portfolio.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
MIS graduates are employed in all sectors, in all industries (such as banking, telecom, logistics, health, management, tourism etc.), in all aspects of business such as accounting, management, finance, and (technology) management.
Access to Further Studies
Upon successful completion of the graduate program, candidates can apply to doctoral programs.
Course and Instructor Evaluation Questionnaire Graduation Questionnaire Satisfaction Questionnaire
Exchange programmes with various North American, European and Asian universities and ERASMUS (13 universities in nine countries) programmes (see http://www.khas.edu.tr/en/international2/International-Programs/main-page.html)
Program taught in: