Management Science and Engineering (120100)
The discipline Management Science and Engineering is one of the disciplines at the first-level in the Management Discipline Group according to the Chinese Discipline Classification. The theoretical and knowledge foundation of this discipline is formed by combining management, economics, mathematics, systems science, information science and so on. By comprehensive applications of these scientific principles and methodologies, it aims at analyzing and solving various management related problems in society, economy, enterprises and other institutions through both qualitative and quantitative methods, with quantitative research as the more important aspect. The main research tasks of this discipline are to provide enterprises and other organizations with systematic theory foundations, methodological models, and information systems so as to support their decisions in relation to the business, operation, management as well as project evaluation and management. As the earliest founded discipline and one of the fastest developed disciplines in the Management Discipline Group, the discipline Management Science and Engineering has formed more completed theoretical system base, with distinguished characters in more emphasizing scientific methodology and models, a closer connection to engineering areas and more attention to practical applications.
As one of the earliest subjects in the field of management science, Management Science and Engineering enjoys a complete with distinct methodological model features. And its close combination with the engineering field has made it a subject with an extensive application. China University of Petroleum was authorized to establish the discipline of Management Science and Engineering in 1986. During the past 20 years, the discipline of our school has gained rich experience and developed into a major with distinctive features:
1. Studies on resource value assessment, investment technique economic evaluation, investment resolution and risk analysis, project management as well as oil peak taking the industrial chain and oil and gas as the research object have achieved advanced level in China, with part results even keep up with advanced international level;
2. Research in system simulation, information and decision support system, systematical prediction and optimization, along with innovative applied research in the field of energy system has always been in the wake of academic frontier, achieving distinct results leading domestic research;
3. Taking the management of large energy enterprises and the oil& gas industry as key study object and based on theories and methods of modern management discipline, we have conducted research in national energy strategy, development strategy of large energy enterprises, energy market circulation system reform, and energy market analysis, the results of which provide important reference for the resolution of the government and oil enterprises;
4. With listed and energy firms as research objects, we have employed securities market and financial data to conduct research in corporate finance and securities market, financial management of oil companies, international energy market and trading system and risk management. A series of research results have been achieved, part of which reached the advanced level in China and has been directly adopted by national ministries and research institutions. The business school enjoys favorable talents training conditions and predominant academic environment, with 7 faculty members, well-equipped labs, the Economic Research Institute of Petroleum, as well as the Energy Strategy Research Institute functioning as strong supporters.
Graduates of this major are bound to be highly qualified talents that are well developed morally, intellectually and physically, with rigorous academic attitudes, rational knowledge structure, strong research, and innovation capability. They should be qualified for researching and administrative positions in the fields of management science and energy economic management. In order to achieve this goal, students are required to:
1. Master Marxism-Leninism, the basic principles of Mao Zedong Thought and Deng Xiaoping theory, and conscientiously take the concept of scientific development and correct view of the world as the code of behaviors; Develop patriotism spirit and excellent merits; Obey the law and actively serve the career of socialist modernization.
2. Mater fundamental theories and knowledge of the discipline; Systematically master theories and methods of management science and engineering; Improve the capacity in settling practical issues in the management of the oil industry; Be able to conduct independent research and achieve creative results.
3. At least master one foreign language to skillfully search and read foreign literature, conduct academic communication and write a thesis.
Detailed requirements in terms of knowledge and capacity include:
1. Build a sound knowledge basis in economic management, have a systematic master of resolution theory in operation and management, and acquire the theories and methods of quantitative analysis, energy system analysis, planning resolution, project management, as well as technology economic analysis;
2. Develop the ability to systematically analyze and solve practical issues;
3. Get familiar with latest research results and trends in management science and engineering, and build the ability to independently or cooperatively conduct scientific research and make innovation;
4. Understand the approaches used in operation management and resolution, obtain the capacity in assisting resolution in enterprises and relative organizations;
5. Skillfully master a foreign language, be good at listening, speaking, reading, and writing that is indispensable in academic communication.
1. Theory and Methods of System Engineering and Their Application
2. Investment Decision and Project Management
3. Systematic Analysis of Energy Strategy and Policy
4. Finance Engineering and Risk Management
1. The normative time for full-time students is 3-5 years and the maximum time for part-time students is 6 years.
2. Doctor degree candidates shall earn no less than 18 credits, with at least 12 credits for required courses.
3. Requirements for Subject Research Progress Report:
The literature review report on the subject research progress should be written at the mid-term or end of the second semester to the beginning of the third semester. Topics for the report should be chosen within the range the mentor raises, and the report should be written in accordance with the format and requirements of Application for National Natural Science Foundation.
Public Compulsory Courses
- Chinese Language
- Introduction to China
- Management Science Theory and Method
- System Science Theory and Method
- Oil and Gas Resources Economic Evaluation
- Energy Economics Management
- Financial Engineering and Energy Finance
- Energy Strategy and Industrial Policy
- Subject Research Progress Report
- Literature Review and Thesis Proposal
Note: Students are able to choose elective courses in other programs according to supervisor advice.
Literature Review and Thesis Proposal
The topics chosen for thesis proposal should be within the scope of the discipline. Main contents of the proposal are composed of the background, significance, and basis of the topic; current status and trends of relevant study home and abroad; research objects and contents; technological methods to be employed and the feasibility analysis; a forecast of key technologies and difficulties; and the research process in details. Students are required to read at least 100 articles before the proposal, among which 30 were written in foreign languages, and write a literature review (at least 6,000 words) in accordance with the format set by the graduate school and business school. The literature review will be evaluated by the proposal review group during the thesis proposal.
Literature review and thesis proposal must be completed before the third semester. The review of it is organized by the Business School openly and member of the review group is 3-5 appointed by the School. The review group should give a review opinion on serious evaluation.
During their study at China University of Petroleum, Ph.D. students are required to take at least 10 academic lectures or make at least 2 public academic reports in the university. Besides, they are bound to participate in at least 1 important academic conference of the discipline and publish their thesis. Ph.D. students are encouraged to take part in international academic conferences. The academic activities mentioned above, together with the compulsory link of Subject Research Progress Report constitute this part. Ph.D. students should submit a Subject Research Progress Report and the mentor will be in charge of the assessment of academic activities which must be comp
Thesis and Research Results Publication
Ph.D. students are required to publish thesis and research results in accordance with the relevant documents set by the Graduate School.
Program taught in: