The Ph.D. Program follows a strong research-intensive tradition on the North American model. It is designed to enable students to gain a deep knowledge of management in general, to develop a concentration in a specialized field, and to provide opportunities for students to do significant original research in their chosen area. Ph.D. students are offered intensive and targeted research training and exceptional collaboration opportunities with faculty to prepare them for their future careers in teaching and/or research. It has a global perspective with a focus covering areas in Organizational Behavior, Human Resources Management, Corporate Strategy, and Organization Theory.
Non-MPhil holders may be admitted through an integrated MPhil and Ph.D. program study scheme.
The program is offered by the Department of Management with the following research foci:
The main areas of research include topics related to organizational theory and strategic management including innovation, corporate governance, entrepreneurship, institutions and status, organizational learning, behavioral strategy, social networks, non-market strategies, strategical alliances, and multinational corporate strategy; topics related to human resources management and organizational behavior including social exchange processes, negotiation, decision-making, multiculturalism, behavioral ethics, leadership, workplace deviance, employment externalization, team processes and effectiveness, goal orientation, creativity, and diversity.
i. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if:
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
iii. Program-Specific Admission Requirements
- A satisfactory score in GMAT or GRE
iv. Additional Information
Full-time mode of study is strongly preferred
For more program information, please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs
About the School
Situated at the heart of Asia, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a young and distinguished research university in Hong Kong. Ranked No. 27 in the World in the QS World Univ ... Read More