The goal of the Ph.D. programme is to prepare the next generation of leading researchers.
The Ph.D. is a programme of independent, self-directed academic research degree, supported by a team of supervisors that makes an original contribution to knowledge written up in a publishable dissertation. The Ph.D. programme also supports the development of research and generic skills to equip you to operate successfully as a professional researcher in any setting. The essential requirement of a Ph.D. is the creation of new knowledge. Being a researcher means developing new ideas and improving understanding through the creation of new knowledge. Your research will inevitably build to some degree on the work and ideas of others, but as a research student, you are expected to make an original contribution to knowledge in your discipline.
Each Ph.D. student must take a number of online modules and also complete a dissertation. Students must defend their dissertation in a “viva voce” (spoken) examination. The viva voce examination is an intense and challenging experience, but we offer workshops and mock examinations to help our research students prepare and almost all research students who reach this stage go on to successfully complete their degree.
Students can engage in research in one of the following fields of study:
- Marketing Management
- Information and Technology
- Business Administration
- Accounting and Finance
- UU-PhD-801 Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods
- UU-PhD-802 Current Issues in Management
- UU-PhD-803 Leadership
- UU-PhD-810 Marketing Management
- UU-PhD-MAR-900-1 Ph.D. Marketing Management Dissertation (Part 1)
- UU-PhD-MAR-900-2 Ph.D. Marketing Management Dissertation (Part 2)
- UU-PhD-MAR-900-3 Ph.D. Marketing Management Dissertation (Part 3)
- UU-PhD-MAR-900-4 Ph.D. Marketing Management Dissertation (Part 4)
Program taught in: