The PhD Program follows a strong research-intensive tradition on the North American model. It is designed to enable students to gain a deep knowledge of management in general, to develop a concentration in a specialized field, and to provide opportunities for students to do significant original research in their chosen area. PhD students are offered intensive and targeted research training and exceptional collaboration opportunities with faculty to prepare them for their future careers in teaching and/or research. It emphasizes the development of sophisticated, state-of-the-art research skills that help in the creation of new knowledge in a chosen area of marketing: Consumer behaviour that is mainly psychology-based, and Quantitative modelling that is largely based on economic and statistical theories.
Non-MPhil holders may be admitted through an integrated MPhil and PhD program study scheme.
The program is offered by the Department of Marketing with the following research foci:
Research areas include consumer information processing, consumer decision-making, non-conscious influences on behaviour, affect and emotions, imagery and visual attention, attitudes and persuasion, goals and consumer self-regulation, social identity and consumer self-esteem, cross-cultural research, lay beliefs, food psychology and marketing, field experiments, empirical models of consumers and firms, eye-tracking and spatial modelling, choice models, theory-based empirical models, Bayesian data analysis, information economics, retailing and marketing strategy, information and contract, media strategy, online marketing, social media and online marketing, advertising, pricing, sustainability, machine learning, business analytics, natural language processing, and causal inference.
Program information for 2020/21 is now ready at pg.ust.hk/programs.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
i. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
ii. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfil English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
iii. Program-Specific Admission Requirements
- A satisfactory score in GMAT or GRE
Please refer to pg.ust.hk/programs ("Application") for details.
About the School
Situated at the heart of Asia, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a young and distinguished research university in Hong Kong. Ranked No. 30 in the World in the QS World Univ ... Read More