Ph.D. in Marriage & Family Therapy (PMFT)
The Ph.D. in MFT is an advanced course of the MA in Marriage and Family Therapy. The program is grounded in a Christian worldview that presents a holistic perspective of human nature including physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and social aspects of maturation. The approach focuses on the strengths and the resiliency of family systems and communal resources to restore and build healthy family relationships. Systemic philosophy and models provide the basis for a therapeutic approach to mental health and relational restoration. Values of creativity, respect, compassion, excellence, and accountability are promoted. Effective learning and preparation for professional service are believed to occur in an academic community of trust that practices justice, peace and human dignity.
Goals of the Program
- To ensure quality higher education within a faithfully Christian learning environment that facilitates professional training and personal development.
- To prepare highly competent and top systemic scholars, educators, clinicians, consultants and researchers in the field of marriage and family therapy.
- To prepare marriage and family therapists who are self-reflective, ethically knowledgeable, culturally sensitive and clinically competent practitioners
- To train MFTs to bring a systemic perspective and clinical skill set to the mental health and therapeutic communities in Kenya and beyond.
- To develop a network of professionals whose work is sensitive to culture, gender, power, and inclusive of the individual, family, and societal relations.
- A Masters Degree, from an accredited University, in Systemic Family Therapy, Counselling Psychology, or other related mental health degrees.
- A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
- Personal opportunities and experiences in counseling and therapy.
- A personal value statement and how it impacts one’s view of counseling, family therapy, and communal relations.
- Those with non-MFT Masters level degree will be required to take the following pre-requisites: Systemic Family Therapy Theories, Family Therapy Counselling Skills, Family Life Cycle, and Psychopathology the Family.
January, May & September
About the School
PAC University is the Leadership University of Choice, chartered by the Commission for University Education in Kenya. It is a cosmopolitan institution of higher learning with students, staff and facul ... Read More