Characteristics of the Studies
Candidates for doctoral studies in Didactics of Mathematics are expected to:
- show interest in mathematics education in general (for example, by taking part in scientific conferences and conferences for teachers),
- have an overview of the most important scientific journals and books related to mathematics education,
- have an idea of the area of mathematics education they are willing to focus on in their studies and be able to specify it in a written project of up to 10 pages (including tentative research questions, methodology, and theoretical background and a list of references).
Program without specialization
Description of verification and evaluation criteria
- Discussion about applicant’s research project proposal. The research project up to 10 pages must be sent together with the application to the Department of Science, Faculty of Education, Charles University. The quality of the project is important in order to be assessed by the entrance committee, which will evaluate the candidate's readiness to do research in mathematics education.
- Discussion about the references from the candidate's list of scientific literature on mathematics education (must be sent together with the application).
Evaluation Criteria: The applicant can get a maximum of ten points, the number of points for the admission to study is getting at least seven points.
Conditions for admission
Admission to Doctoral studies is conditioned by the successful completion of a Master's study program.
|Verification method:||entrance exam|
|Confirmation date (of entrance exam)||from: 14.06.2019 until: 14.06.2019|
|Alternative date (of entrance exam)||from: 09.07.2019 until: 09.07.2019|
The graduate of the Ph.D. studies in mathematics education is prepared to deal with both theoretical and application problems in the mathematical education of children and adults and carry out both scientific and pedagogical activities. He/she contributes to the improvement of the mathematical education of pupils and to the professionalization of teachers. He/she can work at universities, in scientific institutes and as a highly qualified teacher-mediator between research and practice. He/she is able to: recognize up-to-date key topics of the field; propose, realise and evaluate research bringing original results; systematically follow local and international scientific literature and appraise it critically; publish results of his/her work in refereed journals, at local and international conferences, in textbooks and possibly in monographs.
About the School
The Faculty of Education is one of seventeen faculties associated under the umbrella of the Charles University in Prague. Its primary goal is to train teachers and other pedagogical personnel for all ... Read More