PhD in Mechanical Engineering
Innovation in product design and manufacturing has become a major driver for industrial competitiveness and profitability in recent years. As enabling technologies to become more easily accessible, engineers are faced with increasing demands for designing and producing more complex mechanical devices to serve the needs of the society. Next-generation engineering products will be 'smart' with many functionalities; they will be made of new materials; they will increase energy efficiency and reduce environmental impact; they will vary in size from nano to mega scales, and they will be more closely integrated with information processing systems. Also as mechanical systems are becoming increasingly complex to analyze and expensive to experiment, more emphasis will have to be placed on computer-aided analysis, design, verification, and manufacturing. Our research program in mechanical engineering responds to these trends and focuses on basic research related to materials science and process engineering, product design, and information integrated manufacturing processes. In doing so applications to different physical processes are studied (e.g. energy systems, bioengineering, metal forming, polymer processing, discrete part manufacturing to name a few).
- Computer Aided Numerical Control (CNC) Systems and Machine Tools
- Automation and Mechatronics
- Composite Materials Manufacturing
- Human and Machine Haptics (Biomechanics, Robotics)
- Multi-Scale Experimental and Computational Mechanics of Materials
- Vibrations and Structural Dynamics
- Modelling and Design of Micro/Macro Systems
- Computational Materials Science (Polymers, Biomaterials, Shape Memory Alloys)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Thermal and Bio/MicroFluidic Systems
- Micro-Nano Fabrication
Items listed below are only for applicant's information.
All the applicants should apply through ONLINE APPLICATION PROGRAM.
- Application Form
- Personal and Educational Background Information (CV)
- 3 Recommendation Letters
- TOEFL or UDS&KPDS Requirement (for those whose native language is not English)
- New Internet-Based: Minimum Score 80
- Computer Based: Minimum Score 213
- Paper Based: Minimum Score 550
- UDS / KPDS: 87
- ALES scores (required for all Turkish nationals)
- GRE scores (required from foreign students; optional for Turkish students)
- Official transcripts from all the universities attended
- Statement of Purpose
- Areas of Interest
Students admitted have the following offer:
- Tuition waiver (55,500 TL/year) plus 1, 800 TL monthly stipend. The monthly stipend increases to 2,200 TL after the student passes the PhD qualifier.
- All students receive a laptop computer and private health insurance.
- Students with successful standing receive travel funds to attend scientific conferences and meetings.
- PhD students with higher GPA degrees may be offered super scholarship up to 3,000 TL .
- Students who receive their stipend from other sources (like TÜBİTAK scholarships or externally funded research grants and projects) are eligible for the following benefits provided by the university:
- Research Award for MSc students: 2000 TL
- Free Housing: This includes all costs except telephone expenses.
- Research Award for PhD students: 1,500 TL/year after they pass the qualifier.
Program taught in: