- Duration (years): 3
- Qualification Awarded: Media and Communication (PhD, 3 years)
- Level of Qualification: 3rd Cycle ( Doctorate)
- Language of Instruction: The programme is offered in both English and Greek.
- Mode of Study: Full time / Part time
- Minimum Credits: 90
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 180
Profile of the Programme:
With strengths across the fields of Media and Communication, the Department of Communications offers aspirant researchers and accomplished professionals a strong platform to develop both their academic interests and their career. The Department aims to provide an inspiring and vibrant environment for postgraduate research, to support the development of research and presentation skills, and to respond to the academic needs of our students. We create opportunities for interdisciplinary interaction and we pride ourselves on helping our students to extend their professional networks by organizing conferences, seminars and events that aim to establish close links with the media industry and the local and international academic community. The members of the Department of Communications are actively engaged in challenging projects and publications, and in a broad range of extracurricular activities such as: creative media projects, organization of media related festivals and other cultural events; professional training and consultancies in a variety of fields such as Media Literacy and Education, Digital Media and Learning, Film Policy, Community Media, Transmedia and Digital Storytelling and Social Media Management.
Prospective PhD students are welcome to approach the Department at any time in the academic year. You are strongly advised to contact the Doctoral Degree Coordinator before making a formal application. This helps us to ensure that we can offer you the best support and put you in contact with the member of the Department who has the expertise to help and guide you.
Dr. Costas Constandinides
Department of Communications Doctoral Degree Coordinator
People who complete successfully the doctoral programme will be able to:
- Work as Research Faculty Members in tertiary education institutions.
- Exercise a leadership role in the media, e.g. the industry or the academic world.
- Be appointed as high officials in various departments/services of Ministries associated with the function and contribution of the media to social and cultural development.
- Exercise an administrative and/or supervisory role in public or private institutions of higher education, in research centers or in consulting units.
The programme extends over three academic years, that is 6 semesters in all.
- To give the student deep knowledge of the new trends (subject-and research-wise) of the concentration s/he selected.
- To enable the student to plan and bring to closure large-scale research and, therefore, to generate new knowledge and thus contribute to the further development of the sciences in media practice and media education.
- To enable the student to understand the problems associated with advancements in media and communication, deriving from social and technological developments.
- To prepare the students to act as agents of change in their work environment.
- To prepare the students to undertake and exercise successfully leadership role(s) in the area of their concentration/work environment
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 20, 2016