The Ph.D. program in “Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology in chemistry” is designed to enlarge student’s knowledge in synthesis, characterization of nano-objects with the further search for their practical applications. The program typically lasts from 3 to 4 years, teaching students to be flexible and adaptable in their future research careers.
What is the main objective of the Ph.D. program in Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology? The main objective is to prepare researchers capable of designing, fabricating, and characterizing nanomaterials and nanostructured materials using modern and efficient tools and devices, which further may promote the progress in industrial production, making it affordable and sustainable to meet the growing needs of society.
The Educational program is meant for graduates in physics, chemistry, engineering, medicine, pharmaceutical technology, who aim at acquiring a high level of interdisciplinary preparation through specific courses and seminars, covering also fields different from their own specific areas. The program also allows carry out scientific projects in the framework of the collaborations with (inter)national scientific institutions and industries, which are established by highly qualified teachers and tutors of al-Farabi Kazakh National University. The program is closely linked to the latest innovations in this area. Courses are constantly updated in accordance with the progress of science and technology in this scientific field.
The program focuses on the following issues:
- Synthesis and engineering of nanomaterials and nanostructured materials.
- Development of new techniques for the investigation, manipulation, and visualization of nanomaterials at the nanoscale.
- Study of the relation between structure and properties of materials.
- Development of sensors for the detection of biomolecules or compounds at a very low concentration.
- Application of nanotechnology and nanomaterials in energy storage.
- Application of nanotechnology in the pharmaceutical and medical sectors.
- Nanocomposites for 3D printing.
- Synthesis of nanomaterials in combustion mode (flames, SH-synthesis).
- “Green” nanostructured materials (mostly derived from biomaterials).
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to
- Apply the principles of the organization of theoretical and experimental research based on the achievements of modern theory and practice in the field of nanotechnology and nanomaterials.
- Develop a complex process of scientific research methods of nanotechnology, production of nanomaterials, the application of nanomaterials, including additive technologies.
- Choose efficient modern equipment, digital technologies, combine methods for the study of the physicochemical processes of nanotechnology.
- Critically analyze and predict the complex of physicochemical properties, stability, and safety of nanoobjects and nanomaterials during their obtaining and application.
- Develop non-conventional methods for the synthesis of nanostructured systems in the combustion mode, expanding the scope of existing knowledge.
- Summarize the results of scientific research, scientific and technical information in the field of nanotechnologies and related disciplines for scientific, patent and marketing support of the research, to organize independent preparation of publications in national and international editions.
- Optimize the existing technological methods for the production of nanomaterials based on the evaluation and adjustment of development schemes for successful competition in the market of ideas and technologies.
- Synthesize new ideas of various complexity, the implementation of which will ensure cost-effective, environmentally, and technically safe production of the resulting products.
- Promote technological, social, and cultural development in the interests of the formation of society through participation in the development of nanotechnology, production of nanomaterials, and nano-objects.
- Contribute to the development of nanotechnology through original research, some aspects of which are reflected in national or international refereed publications.
Opportunities for employment
Employment opportunities for Ph.D. in nanomaterials and nanotechnologies have been increasing in recent years as the market demand for a Ph.D. with this type of interdisciplinary training will grow in parallel with the introduction of nanotechnologies in the industry in Kazakhstan and elsewhere. Possible areas of employment: energy, electronics, production, health care, physics, chemistry.
The Ph.D. program «Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials in Chemistry» of al-Farabi Kazakh National University, characterized by multidisciplinarity train the graduates suitable to become researchers / responsible for the research and development/heads of laboratories or projects in scientific institutions or the private companies and also as in cases when positions of the researchers capable independently are required to manage the research projects assuming interaction of experts of various disciplines. They are also well prepared to hold leadership positions in other areas and industries of advanced technology. Besides, graduates in the field of nanotechnologies can find work in colleges, universities, and other educational institutions for holding lectures, seminars, and practical training.
About the School
Al-Farabi Kazakh National University is the leading institution of the system of higher education of the Republic of Kazakhstan, which was the first to pass the state certification and which has justi ... Read More