The main objective of the school is to prepare researchers capable of designing, building and characterizing nanomaterials and nanostructured materials (NMS), tools and devices that meet the growing applicative needs, to make the industrial production more effective, affordable and sustainable and to meet the growing needs of our society, promoting its progress. The school is meant for graduates in physics, chemistry, engineering, biology, biotechnology, medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, and pharmaceutical technology who aim at acquiring a high level of interdisciplinary preparation through specific courses and seminars covering also fields different from their own specific areas and carry out research projects in the framework of the collaborations with (inter)national research institutions and industries established by teachers and tutors of the school.
The main objectives of the research activities can be summarized as follows:
- Synthesis and engineering of nanomaterials and NSM
- Development of new techniques for the study, manipulation, and visualization of nanomaterials and NSM at the nanoscale
- Study of the relation between structure and properties of materials
- Multiscale molecular modeling of nanomaterials and NSM and phenomena of interest with computational simulation techniques and theoretical studies of NSM with ab initio methods
- Development of sensors for the detection of bio-molecules or compounds at a very low concentrations
- Application of nanotechnology, nanomaterials, and NSM for research in the energy sector
- Application of nanotechnology in the biological, pharmaceutical, and medical sectors
Job placement opportunities
Possible employment opportunities for a Ph.D. in Nanotechnology are increasing in the last years, in particular in Italy, since the market demand for Ph.D. with this type of multidisciplinary training is going to increase in parallel with the implementation of nanotechnologies in the industry in Italy and in other countries. The areas of employment are as many as those involving nanotechnologies such as for example food, energy, electronic, manufacturing, health, biology, biotechnology, physics, chemistry, cultural heritage. The PhD Program in Nanotechnology of the University of Trieste, characterized by a strong multidisciplinarity, trains scientists suitable to become researchers/responsible of research and development/responsible of labs or projects in public institutions or private companies whenever are requested positions of researchers able to autonomously manage research projects involving the interaction of specialists from various disciplines.
Ph.D. scientists in Nanotechnology are prepared to hold positions of scientific-managing responsibility in other activities and industrial sectors of advanced technology in the areas above mentioned. Eventually, Ph.D. scientist in Nanotechnology may find a position as teacher in secondary schools, to teach scientific disciplines.
Lines of research
- Development of new techniques for the study, manipulation, and visualization of nanomaterials and nanostructured materials at the nanoscale
- Development of sensors for the detection of bio-molecules or compounds present on a very low concentration
- Study of the relationships between structures and properties of materials
- Synthesis and engineering of nanomaterials and nanostructured materials
- Applications of nanotechnology, nanomaterials and nanostructured materials for research in the energy sector
- Multiscale molecular modeling of nanomaterials and nanostructured materials and phenomena of interest with computational simulation techniques and theoretical studies of nanomaterials with ab initio methods
- Application of nanotechnology in the biological, medical and pharmaceutical sectors
The scholarships are awarded for 3 years and their yearly amount is € 15.343,28 gross (approximatively € 1130 net per month).
Admission is based on a competitive examination.
The Call for Applications (Notice of Competition) is available on http://www2.units.it/dott/en/?file=DottBandi.inc
For more information on the Programme, please consult http://web.units.it/dottorato/nanotecnologie/en