PhD in Political Science and International Relations
The mission of the PhD program in Political and International Relations at Koç University is to educate world-class academics and public policy professionals. The objective is to equip our students with the training that will enable them to contribute to topnotch research and teaching in respectable institutions in Turkey and abroad. The faculty members of the Department have active research agendas and are internationally renowned for their research and expertise in a wide variety of areas including the list below. In addition to reflecting these strengths, the program and curriculum are designed to endow students with firm foundations in comparative politics, international relations, and political theory, and with cutting-edge qualitative as well as quantitative research skills. During their studies, students have generous opportunities to gain international experience through exchanges with prestigious institutions. They also become active contributors to the research activities of the department and gain teaching experience through assistantships.
- Civil Society
- Conflict Studies
- Ethnic politics and nationalism
- The European Union
- Foreign Policy
- International Political Economy
- International Relations Theory
- Middle East Politics
- Religion and Secularism
- Turkish Politics
- BA and/or MA degree
In related fields Social Sciences with strong educational performance (During the past five years, the average GPA of students admitted has been 3.60/4.00 for students with an MA degree and 3.40/4.00 for those with a BA).
- Curriculum Vitae
Statement of Purpose, which should not exceed 2,000 words, focusing on why the applicant wants to study at Koç University and in this particular program as well as explaining career objectives and research interests
- English Language, when applicants’ native language is not English, they must ensure to provide their official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or an equivalent testing system. (Minimum scores: TOEFL-IBT: 80; TOEFL-PBT: 550; TOEFL-CBT: 213; YDS: 87)
- ALES or GRE Score
- ALES: A minimum score of 70 (Equally Weighed) please see the FAQ web page for details.
- Graduate Record Examination for international applicants (GRE) that applicants must ensure to provide their official scores. Minimum score: Quantitative: 685/154
- Successful performance in a written exam (which takes place on the campus and requires the applicant to write an essay type answer on a general question related to political science or international relations. Grading is based on the student’s analytical abilities, writing skills in English and general knowledge in politics and international relations) and an interview.
(For exceptional foreign students or residents of foreign countries, the written exam may be waived or arrangements can be made to let the student take the exam in his/her home country-institution. For exceptional candidates, it may also be possible to arrange an online interview through skype).
About the School
Koç University is a leading research and liberal arts university located in Istanbul, Turkey that offers all its programs in English. Recognized globally for facilitating cutting-edge research in its ... Read More