The Ph.D. Program in Politics: History, Theory, Science, in collaboration with the Center for Ethics and Global Politics (CEGP), since 2004, is aimed to offer an interdisciplinary perspective on contemporary global political studies. The faculty includes both Italian and international professors. The program has enrolled more 30 students in the last three years, with more than fifty percent of foreign students. Recently the program has been enriched by the collaboration of the International Center on Democracies and Democratizations (ICEDD) and the Italian Center for Electoral Studies - Centro Italiano Studi Elettorali (CISE).
Areas of study
- philosophy and political theory (ethics and applied philosophy, political and social philosophy, ethics of international relations and human rights theories)
- political science, with particular reference to democracy and democratization, electoral studies, globalization, international relations and international political economy
- epistemology, methodology of research, quantitative methods
- history of politics, international relations, institutions, political ideas of the XIX and XX centuries
The entire length of the program is three years. The coursework part is held in the first academic year. The second and the third years are generally devoted to the research work and can include a research fellowship period abroad (in agreement with the supervisor and with the Board of Professors). The program is in English.
Academic year 2019-2020
The D.R. n.234 of 19 December 2018 has been issued the call for the comparative evaluation for admission to the XXXV cycle PhD courses, for the submission of applications to Politics: History, Theory, Science PhD program for the academic year 2019/2020 - XXXV cycle.
The deadline for submitting applications is on the April 12, 2019 at 16:00 (CEST), UTC + 2.
The admission process is designed to establish the candidate’s knowledge, his/her aptitude for scientific research, and whether the PhD program’s research topics are suitable for the candidate.
The completion of the PhD program and the admission to the final defense/exam are subject to the fulfilment of the criteria described in this section. The students are asked to read it carefully.
The full program contains the following educational modules:
- “Colloquium on Ethics, Politics, and Society”, Other seminars/conferences
- Period of Study Abroad
- Qualifying Seminar
- Research seminar
- Thesis supervision
- Doctoral Dissertation /GuidelinesPhD Tutorship
- Responsibilities of PhD students
Program taught in: