PhD in Translation
Duration: 3 or 4 years (Full-time)
Place: Hong Kong
The Department of Translation at Lingnan is one of the largest in Hong Kong, with some of the best translation scholars in the Chinese speaking world. It has long been recognised as one of the top translation departments in Greater China, following a proud tradition of excellence in scholarship and teaching. In recent years, professors in the Department have published extensively in many important international journals. Our very strength is in translation theory and members bring their interdisciplinary interests to their research, which reflects the developments of Translation Studies. We are affiliated with two translation journals: Translation Quarterly and Translation and Cross-Cultural Studies. Earlier this year, the Head of Department was also appointed as the 2017 CETRA Chair Professor of Translation by the Center for Translation Studies at the University of Leuven (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven), Belgium.
In addition, the Department is uniquely endowed with a capacity to explore problems related to English-to-Chinese and Chinese-to-English translation. The Department offers not only opportunities for research on many aspects of Translation Studies, but also a well-developed and congenial community that provides strong support to its graduate students in advancing their intellectual development as they proceed through the PhD programme. Our former PhD students have become eminent professors at such prestigious institutions as Tsinghua University and Shanghai International Studies University. The PhD programme is a vigorous one aiming to prepare our students to meet effectively the research tasks that will be required of them in their future academic careers.
Applicants may seek admission to the PhD programme in two ways as follows:
1. Apply for PhD Programmes via the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
Lingnan is one of the universities which can nominate brilliant applicants for the Fellowship to be granted by the Research Grants Council (RGC) through the HKPFS. Each Fellowship awardee will be provided with HK$240,000/year (HK$20,000/month) and a conference/research-related travel allowance of up to HK$10,000/year for a maximum of 3 years. (US$1=HK$7.8).
Applications for admission through this Scheme are now invited. To apply for admission, please make an initial application on the Admission System of the RGC at www.rgc.edu.hk/hkphd during the period from 1 September to 1 December 2016 (Hong Kong Time 12:00) noon. Each applicant will be allocated a reference number. The applicant is then required to submit a full application directly to Lingnan’s electronic system at www.ln.edu.hk/admissions/applyonline on or before 2 December 2016. Late applications will NOT be considered.
2. Apply for PhD Programmes Directly
Applicants may also seek admission to the PhD programmes by applying to the University directly. Full-time students will normally be provided with Postgraduate Studentships. The Postgraduate Studentship for a PhD student will be HK$15,760/month* (rate subject to review).
* To be raised to HK$16,080/month after confirmation of candidature.
The University invites applications from 1 November 2016 to 27 January 2017. Applicants may apply online via www.ln.edu.hk/admissions/applyonline. For details, please visit www.LN.edu.hk/reg/info/pgrad.
General Admission Requirements
- An applicant for admission to candidature for the degree of PhD should normally:
- a. hold a master's degree awarded by a tertiary education institution recognised for this purpose by the University; or
- b. hold a relevant bachelor's degree with first or second class honours or at an equivalent standard, and have registered in a programme of study for a master's degree at a recognised tertiary education institution for at least one year and have evidence of research achievement; or
- c. have obtained an equivalent qualification of a) or b) above; or
- d. have provided satisfactory evidence of academic and professional attainment.
Note: First degree graduates with proven research qualification or experience might be admitted direct to PhD studies ONLY UNDER EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Normally a candidate without a master's degree would not be admitted to PhD studies and he/she should register as an MPhil student in the first instance.
- In addition to the above, an applicant whose degree is not from a tertiary institution in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country should obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based test) or 213 (computer-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a band score of 6.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent score in a recognised test, or an equivalent qualification to prove his/her language proficiency which will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants are required to fulfill additional requirements, if any, set by the programmes to which they apply for admission.
- For admission to Lingnan PhD programmes via the HKPFS, the RGC stipulated that for an applicant from a non-English speaking university, unless he/she provides proof that English is the language of instruction for all courses for the entrance qualification(s) of his/her proposed PhD programme(s), he/she is required to attach score results of TOEFL or IELTS in the PhD application. This requirement (mandatory submission of TOEFL/IELTS score results) can be exempted for applicants whose proposed PhD studies are specifically in non-English medium, e.g. Chinese. However, the applicants still have to meet the language requirements of the University as stipulated in paragraph 2 above.
Programme Specific Admission Requirements
An applicant whose degree is not from a tertiary institution in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country should normally have TOEFL score of 600 (paper-based test) or 250 (computer-based test) or 100 (internet-based test) or a minimum band score of 7 in the IELTS, or an equivalent score in a recognised English language proficiency test, or an equivalent qualification to prove his/her language proficiency which will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 27, 2016