Ph.D. on Urban Development and Governance
As a combination of urban management and governance, this Ph.D. program provides a unique academic experience that is highly relevant to today’s world.
The Ph.D. program focuses on creating an academic-to-practice environment which will prepare students to be experts in their field. While students are required to be at IHS for three months a year during which they will form the base of their skills and knowledge, they are also allowed to conduct research elsewhere for the rest of the year.
What can I look forward to in this program?
- A custom-made list of courses to choose from, designed to accompany through the stages of their Ph.D. and line up with their focuses
- Working with internationally-renowned experts in their field
- Working on real-life cases
- Making professional connections all over the world
- A flexible working environment
How is the programme organised?
In order to create a multidisciplinary environment, the program is divided into the following six clusters:
- Green Cities and Infrastructure
- Urban Housing, Equity and Social Justice
- Urban Environment, Sustainability, and Climate Change
- Urban Strategies and Planning
- Urban Land Governance
- Urban Competitiveness and Resilience
Researchers from the different clusters collaborate together in order to create a dynamic and cooperative environment. Candidates will also be able to participate in workshops and conferences to both expand their knowledge and present their work.
What can I expect at the end of my studies?
- A doctoral degree from a top the high ranking Erasmus University Rotterdam (#72 globally according to THE)
- To be a qualified job candidate for a growing field in cities all over the world
- Confidence in your skills and knowledge and your capacity to work as an expert in your field!
Admission & Application
Erasmus University has two types of PhD candidates: 'internal' with full employment status and 'external', or self-funded, candidates. External PhD candidates have their own research proposal and are able to secure funding for their project through private resources or grants, for instance scholarships from national or local governments. IHS welcomes external PhD candidates.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 7, 2018