The WBS Ph.D. programme is the largest in South Africa and one of the most highly regarded on the continent. We seek out and bring together top candidates from across Africa to address important topics in their Ph.D. research that are relevant to the advancement of business and society on our continent. We have students from Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Zambia and of course South Africa, and the best faculty from across the continent so that our Ph.D. is authentically African in perspective. As a student of our Ph.D. programme, you will gain real cultural and social insights from our commercial and political debates, you will sharpen your ability to articulate, grow in confidence and realize the vastness of the knowledge domains you can master by developing your learning and research skills. A Ph.D. shows the world you are capable of putting in the disciplined effort, logical thought and leaps of insight needed to be a ground-breaking innovator. It tells employers that you work diligently to discover new truths, evaluate alternative approaches and forge ways forward based on solid evidence.
The School is particularly keen to enrol students in the following areas of study:
- Methodological Issues
- Business & Society
- Decision Sciences
- Organisational behaviour & diversity management
- Digital Business
Essential Websites to Visit:
- General Information - http://www.wits.ac.za/postgraduate
- International Applicants - http://www.wits.ac.za/internationalstudents
- SAQA evaluation of any Foreign Qualifications - http://www.saqa.org.za/show.php?id=5741 (University requirement)
- Financial Assistance - https://www.wits.ac.za/internationalstudents/financial-information/how-to-pay/ (apply directly with the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office)
- Accommodation - http://www.wits.ac.za/accommodation (apply directly with the Central Accommodation Office)
- Application Fee Payment Options - https://www.wits.ac.za/study-at-wits/fees-and-funding/
- University Rules and Regulations - https://www.wits.ac.za/media/wits-university/students/academic-matters/documents/CLM Rules and Syllabuses 20
- A Bachelor’s degree with Honours – upper 2nd class or better (i.e. both with an average of “B” or better)
OR a Bachelor’s degree plus a Postgraduate Diploma (both with an average of “B” or better)
- A good master's degree (i.e. an average of “B” or better)
- An outline of your proposed research.
- Availability of a suitable supervisor
- A non-refundable application fee
- Complete the online application form on the following link https://www.wits.ac.za/applications/ (parts 1&2)
- Complete Part 3 form WBS Ph.D. Application_Part 3 form
- Complete the
- Motivation letter
- A 12-pager proposal
- Certified academic transcripts/records
- Certified academic certificates
Applications for the June 2018 intake close on 30 April 2018 and January 2019 intake close on 30 September 2018.
Note: If the link above doesn't work, please copy and paste the URL into a browser.
Mmabatho Leeuw, Ph.D. Programme Manager
011 717 3621
Disclaimer: Cancellation of programmes by WBS
- WBS is entitled to cancel or change the date of delivery of a programme without notice and for any reason without incurring any liability to individuals who have applied or are enrolled on the programme or any funders of such individuals (“participants” or “funders of participants”).
- Without derogating from the aforesaid, and insofar as it possible, WBS will provide the participants or funders of the participants with 30 (thirty days) days written notice of any cancellation or changes in the dates of delivery of the programme.
- Insofar as the programme is canceled or rescheduled prior to delivery of the programme then in that event the participants and funders of the participants will not be charged the full programme fees.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 6, 2018