Ph.D. in Classical Philology Charles University Faculty of Arts
The language of instruction is English.
For all information about the study programme and admission procedure conditions see THIS PAGE.
Applications can only be submitted electronically using the form provided HERE.
What is the admission process for this programme?
- Contact a dissertation consultant (you can find a list of consultants according to your chosen study programme HERE) and send him/her your dissertation proposal for review.
- Submit your application for study via THE ONLINE FORM
- Applications can only be submitted until 30 April!
- In late May/early June, you will receive an Invitation to the entrance examination via the same system in which you applied.
- At a specified time in June, you will take an entrance exam. The entrance exam is oral. The maximum number of points you can score on the exam is 60. If you have a total of 30 points or more, you have a chance to be admitted - but you need to be within the expected admission number for the programme.
- In July, the admission procedure is evaluated, and the information about its result is sent to all applicants.
- Candidates who are successful in the admission procedure are subject to NOSTRIFICATION. This means that they must provide evidence of their previous Master's degree according to the conditions listed HERE.
- Those who have properly documented their previous education and language skills may attend the enrolment in the study, which takes place in September.
Scholarships and Funding
Full-time doctoral students will receive a scholarship, which is usually supplemented by other sources of income, e.g. awards for participation in grant projects or remuneration for teaching undergraduates.
For information on governmental scholarships, please visit the website of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (https://www.msmt.cz/eu-and-international-affairs/scholarships). Further, you may consult the following website: https://www.studyin.cz/plan-your-studies/scholarships.
Other Ph.D. scholarships can be found at: https://www.cuni.cz/UKEN-72.html and http://www.cuni.cz/UKEN-68.html
Program Tuition Fee
Graduates from the Ph.D. program in Classical Philology are experts in classical languages / ancient literature, capable of developing their knowledge in a creative manner. Their dissertation theses testify to the graduates’ excellent expertise in the specialization of their choice within classical philology (Greek/Latin language, Greek/ Roman literature), including a reliable grounding in literary or linguistic theories. Graduates are equipped with knowledge, methods, and language skills essential for independent research careers, being able to present their research findings at conferences, in journals, monographs, and editions of ancient texts. Graduates can seek employment as researchers and university teachers, editors, and translators of specialist publications.