PhD Summer Workshop
Faculty of Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
3 - 4 years
Full time, Part time
Earliest start date
* HK$42,100 per annum
PhD Fellowship Summer Workshop 2023
The Faculty of Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) is holding a 5-day Summer Workshop on July 3 - 7, 2023 (Monday - Friday) for applicants who are seeking admission to our PhD programmes through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme.
- The summer workshop 2023 is organized for potential applicants to CUHK Engineering PhD programmes in the 2024-2025 intake.
- We welcome undergraduate or master students in their penultimate year of study to apply.
- Selection will be based on academic excellence, research ability and potential.
- Every participant of the workshop will have the PhD admission interview opportunity on the last two days of the workshop. The first batch of PhD offers will be made shortly after the workshop.
What the workshop offers
- Research seminars
- Lab visit video
- Individual meetings with professors
- Admission interviews
- Campus tour
About the Faculty of Engineering
The seed of CUHK Engineering was planted by Prof. Sir Charles K. Kao, Nobel Laureate in Physics and Father of Fiber Optics. He initially established the Department of Electronics in 1970. The Faculty was inaugurated in 1991 by Professor Kao. Today, it has grown into a comprehensive Faculty with 6 academic departments, namely, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Information Engineering, Mechanical and Automation Engineering, Systems Engineering and Engineering Management.
Research Programmes under Six Divisions of Faculty of Engineering
- MPhil-PhD in Biomedical Engineering
- MPhil-PhD in Computer Science and Engineering
- MPhil-PhD in Electronic Engineering
- MPhil-PhD in Information Engineering
- MPhil-PhD in Mechanical and Automation Engineering
- MPhil-PhD in Systems Engineering and Engineering Management
Read more: Faculty of Engineering
Founded in 1963, the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) is a comprehensive research university with a mission to combine tradition with modernity. We aim at cultivating quality graduates to serve the increasingly sophisticated needs of society and making contributions to the pool of human knowledge through research. We have a unique college system and a 137.3-hectare scenic campus. The majority of our teaching staff are recruited from all over the world. Our current enrolment of postgraduate students exceeds 12,000 and includes a substantial portion of non-local students from around the world.
Workshop Application (Deadline: 16 April 2023):
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS), established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) in 2009, aims at attracting the best and brightest students from all over the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong. HKPFS provides a monthly stipend of HK$27,100 (approximately US$3,474) and a conference travel allowance of HK$13,600 (approximately US$1,744) per year for the awardees for a maximum period of three years. For awardees with a normative study period of 4 years, CUHK will offer the award at the same level for the fourth year. In addition to the monthly stipend and annual conference travel allowance, HKPFS awardees may apply for various scholarships offered by the University.
Scholarships and Funding
Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
- Established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) in 2009.
- Aims to attract the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD programmes in Hong Kong's universities.
- Provides a monthly stipend of HK$26,600 (approx. US$3,410) and a conference travel allowance of HK$13,300 (approx. US$1,700) per year during the normative study period for up to three years.
CUHK Vice-Chancellor HKPFS Scholarship
- Offers HKPFS awardees a tuition fee waiver for their whole normative study period.
- Provides an award of HK$40,000 (approx. US$5,130) for lodging in the first year of study and HK$20,000 in the subsequent years within the normative study period*
- The on-campus hostel fee will be waived in the first year of study.
- Guaranteed on-campus accommodation during the normative period of study to HKPFS awardees who submit timely applications.
- For HKPFS awardees with a normative study period of four years, CUHK provides stipend and conference travel allowance at HKPFS level for the fourth year.