Ph.D. in Mathematics
Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics - University of Maribor
EUR 2,970 / per year **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* check admissions card for more information
** tuition fee for doctoral studies in the 2021/22 academic year
The study program offers a great deal of openness and flexibility, as students can actively shape their individual educational path according to their own interests and career orientations, with emphasis on theoretical, applied, or computer-oriented mathematical knowledge received. With the support of mentors, each student gradually builds the necessary set of knowledge and research experience to independently manage highly demanding practical problems in their field of study. An important feature of the doctoral study program in Mathematics is its international comparability, openness, and flexibility: through the involvement of students in various scientific research and applied projects taking place at the faculty.
The main goals of the program are for students to gain:
- In-depth knowledge of mathematics and an idea of the breadth, role, meaning, and interdisciplinarity of this science;
- Knowledge of modern methods and techniques in the field of mathematics and the ability to actively use these methods and techniques to follow the development trends of the profession;
- The ability for independent internationally competitive research work and independent development of a given subject area and its effective teaching;
- The necessary organizational and professional knowledge of development and research, both in the field of mathematics, its application, and in mathematical education.
Before enrolling in the doctoral study, the student selects a potential mentor. A mentor in the preparation of a doctoral dissertation is a person who holds the title of higher education teacher (assistant professor, associate professor, full professor) or scientist (research associate, senior research associate, scientific advisor) and demonstrates research activity in the field of doctoral dissertation. Together with the mentor, the student forms a study curriculum and actively mentors the student through doctoral studies through individual research work and research seminars.