Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) School of Business
Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
4 - 6 years
Full time, Part time
01 Dec 2023*
Earliest start date
* HKPFS Track: 1 September 2023 to 1 December 2023; Regular Track: 1 September 2023 to 15 April 2024; Early applications are encouraged as applications are processed on a rolling basis.
HKBU School of Business offers a 4-year full-time PhD Programme across 5 main disciplines, including Accountancy and Law, Economics, Finance and Decision Sciences, Management and Marketing. Combining academic rigour with a resolutely international approach, the Programme aims at training students to become professors.
Our students will be able to conduct quality and impactful research works under the supervision of our outstanding faculty. Students will be provided with enormous research resources, ranging from research laboratories to scholarships, to support their intellectual journey. There is a part-time lectureship which is an ideal stepping stone to a career in academia. There are also opportunities for international conference exposure and overseas attachment to build networks and develop collaborative projects with international scholars. We recognize students with outstanding performance in which they will be invited to join our double-degree PhD Programme co-supervised by faculties of HKBU and the University of Groningen.
The School offers studies leading to a higher research degree:
- PhD - Doctor of Philosophy
The supervision of postgraduate research students is an integral part of each Department’s activities. These students undertake full-time studies and research towards a PhD degree. Students from Hong Kong, China and overseas countries have been accepted on this programme.
To assist prospective students in identifying possible options, the following is a list of disciplines/fields of study offered by the departments.
- Department of Accountancy and Law
- Department of Economics
- Department of Finance and Decision Sciences
- Department of Management
- Department of Marketing
Accountancy and Law
Financial Reporting; Corporate Governance; Information Disclosure; International Accounting; Auditing and Taxation
Applied Microeconomic Theory; Applied Econometrics; Development Economics; Labour Economics; Chinese Economy
Finance and Decision Sciences - Finance
Corporate Finance and Corporate Governance; Financial Derivatives and Investment Strategies
Finance and Decision Sciences - Management Information Systems
E-Business; E-Commerce; Information System Management; Strategic AI Use; Technology Use and Well-Being; IT and Society; Digital Transformation; Digital Resilience
Organization Behavior and Managerial Psychology; Management Issues in China; Strategic Management Leadership; Corporate Social Responsibility and Business Ethics
Consumer Behavior; Marketing Strategy; Marketing Communication; Socially Responsible Marketing; Service Marketing
Period of Study
School of Business offers a 4-year full-time PhD programme with the potential to extend to 6-year study.
The Learning Goals (LGs) of the PhD Programme are threefold:
- LG1: Students will acquire advanced knowledge and theories in their areas of specialization and research skills required for pursuing independent research on their chosen topics.
- LG2: Students will develop the ability with an international perspective to design and conduct original research in their fields of specialization.
- LG3: Students will be able to teach college-level courses in their areas of specialization.