PhD in Management of Digital transformation
IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca
19 Jun 2023
Earliest start date
* No tuition fees (students beyond the tuition waiver also receive a scholarship - 16,243€/year - and free room and board)
The IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca is seeking 7 talented doctoral candidates in its Management of Digital Transformation (MDT) Ph.D. Program.
The objective of the PhD program in “Management of Digital Transformation” (MDT) is to train a new executive class to respond to the management needs of digital transition processes.
The MDT program combines a “horizontal” approach to academic activities with a “vertical” approach to research. MDT offers cross-disciplinary educational training dedicated to digital transition issues from a cultural, economic, social, engineering, IT, legal, managerial, neuroscientific, and psychological perspective. Research activities include a specific in-depth study on a highly-qualified scientific project in line with the student’s profile and motivations.
Career opportunities include the academic field in different sectors, including engineering, information technology, and economics, as well as technical-scientific and managerial roles in public and private companies.
The partnership with leading companies in their respective sectors to develop research projects of high industrial interest will provide an additional advantage to students in terms of employment opportunities.
Available Research Projects
- Management of Digital Transformation in the Global Monitoring Decision Support System in cooperation with Leonardo S.p.A.
- Paper mill sludge: new valorization opportunities in cooperation with Lucart S.p.A.
- Development of new technologies for the hydrogen supply chain: simulation methods aimed at the industrialization of devices for the production, storage and use of hydrogen in cooperation with Ne.m.e.sys s.r.l.
- Predictive modeling and digital innovation: implications on the business model and on the measurement of company performance in cooperation with Selene S.p.A.
- Virtual prototyping methods for calculating the performance of sails and load-bearing hydrodynamic appendages of high-performance yachts in cooperation with ToolsPole OÜ
- Digital libraries for cultural heritage: an interdisciplinary approach for project management in cooperation with Franco Cosimo Panini Editore S.p.A
- Meta-workplace and management: implications on company organization and business model in cooperation with Intesa Sanpaolo Innovation Center
- Contract Type: 36-month scholarship
- Commitment: Full time
- Location: Lucca (Tuscany, Italy)
- Official language: English
- Starting date: December 2022
- Benefits: free room and board (on campus, all year round), free access to campus facilities, addi-tional research and international mobility funds, insurance coverages, social security coverage
- First year: Attend and pass graduate courses, following a customized scientific training program
- Second and third year: Engage in your own research under the guidance of at least one Advisor you select among the IMT Faculty members
- Spend at least 6 months abroad
- Spend at least 6 months at the company linked to your research project
- Participate in the daily academic and campus life, including seminars, conferences, workshops, pub-lic outreach activities, etc.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, or in a related field (to be obtained by October 31st, 2022)
- High level of proficiency in English
- Interest in one of the research projects available
- Enthusiasm for research, critical thinking
What We Offer
- An exciting multidisciplinary and international research environment with wide opportunities to in-teract with scholars from related disciplines in several other international Universities
- Work under the supervision of at least one Advisor from the Faculty
- Interact with several other doctoral candidates, postdoc researchers, and Faculty members;
- A tailor-made scientific training program composed from a wide range of courses and seminars by leading researchers
- Mentoring, training, and career development support
- A highly competitive full-time PhD Position with
- a scholarship for a maximum period of 3 consecutive years, extendable to 4 years
- social security coverage
- free accommodation on campus (all year round)
- free meals on campus (lunch and dinner, all year round)
- additional research funds
- additional international mobility funds
- insurance coverages (liability, accident)
- no tuition fees
The IMT School’s Placement services aim to support a quick and smooth post-doctoral transition to academia, institutions, companies and entrepreneurial sectors that valorize the PhD degrees earned by the School’s students.
There are multiple tools that are used by the School to support job placement activities in a variety of contexts.
Individual orientation activies have the objective of supporting IMT School students and alumni with respect to:
- identifying and guiding personal job placement strategies for academia and/or the labor pool
- managing research and work activities competently and autonomously
- gaining concrete knowledge of the local, national and international job markets
The principle tool for individual orientation are counseling sessions.