Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence - MBZUAI
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
31 Mar 2024*
Earliest start date
* deadline for international students/deadline for UAE nationals: May 30th, 2024 | Application start date: Sep 1st, 2023
* no tuition fees + scholarship
The goal of the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Computer Science is to produce highly trained researchers for industry and academia. The program prepares students to apply the research techniques and knowledge they have gained to solve complex problems in the field of Computer Science and AI.
The Ph.D. in Computer Science offers exciting opportunities to do cutting-edge applied research and produce new intellectual contributions with world leaders in their field. It is designed to prepare students for leadership careers in academia, industry research labs, and education in computer science. As a graduate of this program, students will not only have strong technical and research expertise in their field but will also have the ability to work effectively in interdisciplinary teams and be able tackle problems that require both technical and non-technical solutions.
STEM major students with GPA above 3.2/4.0
The minimum degree requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science is 60 credits, distributed as follows:
|Number of courses
|Advanced Research Methods
|At least one internship of three months duration must be satisfactorily completed as a graduation requirement.
Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science is primarily a research-based degree. The purpose of coursework is to equip students with the right skillset, so they can successfully accomplish their research project (thesis). Students are required to take CS801, CS802, CS803 and CS804 as mandatory courses.
|Advanced Data Structures
Students will select a minimum of two elective courses, with a total of eight (or more) credit hours. One must be selected from List A and one must be selected from List A or B based on interest, proposed research thesis, and career aspirations, in consultation with their supervisory panel. The elective courses available for the Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science are listed in the tables below:
|Deep Learning for Language Processing
|NLP802 | NLP803
|Current Topics in Natural Language Processing | Advanced Speech Processing
|Deep Learning for Natural Language Generation
|3D Geometry Processing
The Ph.D. thesis exposes students to cutting-edge and unsolved research problems in the field of computer science, where they are required to propose new solutions and significantly contribute towards the body of knowledge. Students pursue an independent research study, under the guidance of a supervisory panel, for a period of three to four years.
|Computer Science Ph.D. Research Thesis
|Advanced Research Methods
By the end of this program, students will be able to:
- Analyze complex computing problems and apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to devise solutions
- Develop research projects in computer science that meet high standards of theoretical and methodological rigor
- Recognize social and professional responsibilities and make informed decisions, which consider the impact, sustainability and entrepreneurial feasibility of computer science solutions and innovations in global and local, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- Systematically review, analyze, and interpret the body of scientific literature and innovations in Computer Science
- Communicate new knowledge orally and through original research of publishable quality which satisfied peer review
CS Rankings in a Glance
- 18th in the field of AI in CS Rankings globally
- 28th in the field of ML in CS Rankings globally
- 16th in the field of CV in CS Rankings globally
- 19th in the field of NLP in CS Rankings globally
Program Tuition Fee
AI is permeating every industry. At recent employer engagement events at MBZUAI, there has been representation from multiples sectors including (but not limited to):
- Aviation, consultancy, education, energy, finance, government entities, healthcare, media, oil and gas, security and defense, research institutes, retail, telecommunications, transportation and logistics, and startups.
Recent job opportunities advertised via the MBZUAI Student Careers Portal include (but not limited to):
- AI solution architect, AI solution engineer, algorithmic engineer, data analyst, data engineer, data scientist, data strategy consultant, full stack software engineer, full stack web developer, predictive analytics researcher, and senior data scientist – consultant.
Other career opportunities could include (but not limited to):
- Applied scientist, analytics engineer, augmented/virtual reality, autonomous cars, biometrics and forensics, chief data officer, data platform leadership, data journalist, data and AI technical sales specialist, growth analytics / engineers, manager: AI and cloud services planning, machine learning engineers, product manager: AI and data analytics, product data scientist, product analyst, remote sensing, research assistants, security and surveillance, senior software engineer, and VP data.