PhD in Philosophy
Universidade Santiago de Compostela
Santiago de Compostela, Spain
EUR 200 / per year
Earliest start date
The Faculty of Philosophy of the USC has been teaching for more than two decades a doctoral program that, although its name has changed slightly (Current Questions of Philosophy, Philosophy, Philosophy: Current Questions), has as fundamental objectives to train students to research and train students in the various burning questions of contemporary philosophy.
This is the only Philosophy Program offered within the framework of the Galician University System. It provides students with the possibility of pursuing university studies in Philosophy from the Degree in Philosophy and the Official Master's Degree in Philosophy offered at the USC Faculty of Philosophy. In recent years, the number of theses defended, as well as the research projects that support the research lines offered have been adequate and consistent, and have met the existential demand in the Galicia and North of Portugal Euroregion. In recent years, close collaboration has been maintained with professors of Philosophy at the University of Coimbra, both at the teaching level, as a researcher and in academic exchanges. For this reason, a professor from said University is permanently incorporated into the program. Teachers from the University of Vigo are also joining. The previous Doctorate Program (Philosophy: Current Issues) has promoted the exchange of professors and doctoral students with the University of Tenri (Japan). The Program is integrated into the USC International Doctoral School, in accordance with the provisions of the USC Doctoral Studies Regulations, which will improve its efficiency and management.
Lines of investigation
- current currents of philosophy
- modernity and illustration
- Ethics and politics of democracy
- Socio-cultural anthropology. Theories and applications
Students who have completed the following master's degrees will have direct access, without the need to take additional training:
- Master in Philosophy. Current Issues.
- Master in Cultural Management
- Interuniversity Master of Logic and Philosophy of Science
- In general, the Master's degrees in the area of Humanities offered by the USC and the Master's degrees in Philosophy/Humanities offered by other Spanish Universities
- Students with the DEA degree obtained through the “Philosophy” programs at USC or other Spanish universities
- In the case of other types of profiles different from the previous ones, the Academic Committee will evaluate each case individually. The possibility of requiring these students to complete additional training (maximum up to 15 ECTS) will be considered.
- In the case of other profiles that had not completed a Master's degree, an equivalence of training in research credits will be required, at least equal to those of the master's degree that gives direct access, which will be 60 ECTS.
- International philosophy meetings on the Camino de Santiago E5041A01
- Introduction course to research methodology in philosophy E5041A02
- Participation in the activities of the Interuniversity Society of Philosophy E5041A03
- Personalized tutorials E5041A04
- The philosophical lexicon and literary genres: regarding the concept of friendship P5121101
The USC Faculty of Philosophy has been teaching a doctoral program for more than two decades which, although its name has changed slightly (Current Issues in Philosophy, Philosophy, Philosophy: Current Issues), has as its fundamental objectives training students to research and train students in the different burning questions of contemporary philosophy.