Doctorate in Biodiversity and Ecology (Ph.D.)
University of Cyprus
8 - 16 semesters
EUR 4,000 **
Request info *
Earliest start date
01 Jan 2024
* up to 12pm
** holders of Master's degree
The Ph.D. A degree in Biodiversity and Ecology aims at providing students with high-quality education of international standing, so that they can develop a deep understanding of their science and versatile thinking, something critical for their professional career in the modern environment.
The Program entails theoretical coursework as well as a laboratory-based or field-based thesis dissertation.
Graduates may find employment in education, aquaculture, organic farming, environmental impact studies, environmental management, biodiversity conservation, and similar.
- Compulsory: 160 ECTS
- Restricted Elective: 80 ECTS
- Total ECTS: 240 ECTS
- Successful completion of the requirements of the Program
- Up to 60 ECTS may be exempted from postgraduate courses.
- To obtain the PhD Degree in Biodiversity and Ecology, 80 ECTS from restricted elective courses are required.
- The candidates should also successfully attend the compulsory courses BIO 605, BIO 800-803, BIO 810, BIO 811, BIO 812, BIO 820-823 and BIO 835.
Education of new scientists at the postgraduate level, who are competitive in the European and international setting.
Upon successful completion of their studies, graduates will be able:
- to apply their knowledge in practice,
- to transfer their knowledge of biology to students and to the society in general,
- to satisfy professional requirements for career fields such as biomedicine, laboratory testing, environmental studies, biotechnology, sustainable use of biological resources etc.,
- to adapt to technological advancements and new knowledge in the field,
- to work independently or in groups at an international and/or interdisciplinary level,
- generate new ideas and scientific knowledge,
- respect diversity, multiculturalism and the natural environment,
- demonstrate social, professional and moral responsibility and sensitivity to gender issues,
- view themselves as well as others critically,
- promote free, inductive and deductive thinking
Program Tuition Fee
The enormous growth in biological sciences over the last decades and the anticipated continuation of this course in the foreseeable future will continue to offer many opportunities to our PhD graduates. The PhD graduates of the Biodiversity and Ecology may be employed in both the private and the public sectors, as well as in research/academic laboratories as postdoctoral fellows. Developing fields that require an increasing demand for specialized personnel trained in biodiversity and ecology include organic farming, aquaculture, environmental assessments, environmental impact studies, management of protected areas/species, implementation of national and international conventions and strategies on biodiversity related issues, etc. Finally, employment in the higher education sector is also a possibility.