Doctorate in Biomedical Sciences (Ph.D.)
University of Cyprus
8 - 16 semesters
EUR 4,000 **
Request info *
Earliest start date
* up to 12pm
** holders of Master's degree
Initiated about 20 years ago, the PhD Program in Biomedical Sciences is an interdisciplinary graduate program, providing rigorous training in modern cell and molecular biology. The departmental faculty provides a highly interdisciplinary and intensely collaborative training environment.
Our students learn to combine traditional molecular genetics and biochemistry with rapidly emerging cutting-edge approaches in genomics, proteomics, systems biology, and microscopy, and they go on to careers in academia, education, industry, science outreach, policy-making, and other related fields. The Program has been an integrative force that aims to tie together various disciplines and has strong links with the Departments of Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, and the UCY Medical School.
Our goal is to train our students to examine scientific problems from many perspectives empowering them to become, responsible, independent scientists, equipped with the technical, operational, and professional skills needed to thrive in the modern biomedical workforce. This is accomplished through a student-centered curriculum and research experience, and a vigorous program of faculty mentoring, skill development, career advancement, and institutional support.
We strive to provide an exceptional training experience to every Ph.D. student, providing them with all the tools for successful careers as leaders in biomedical research. We welcome highly motivated students who are dedicated to the search for new knowledge.
- Compulsory: 160 ECTS
- Restricted Elective: 80 ECTS
- Total ECTS: 240 ECTS
- Successful completion of the requirements of the Program
- Up to 60 ECTS may be exempted from postgraduate courses.
- To obtain the Ph.D. A degree in Biomedical Sciences and 80 ECTS from restricted elective courses are required.
- The candidates should also successfully attend the compulsory courses BIO 605, BIO 800-803, BIO 810, BIO 811, BIO 812, BIO 820-823 and BIO 835.
Education of new scientists at the undergraduate level, who are competitive in the European and international setting.
Upon successful completion of their studies, graduates will be able to:
- to apply their knowledge in practice,
- to transfer their knowledge of biology to students and to society in general,
- to satisfy professional requirements for career fields such as biomedicine, laboratory testing, environmental
- studies, biotechnology, sustainable use of biological resources, etc.,
- to adapt to technological advancements and new knowledge in the field,
- to work independently or in groups at an international and/or interdisciplinary level,
- generate new ideas and scientific knowledge,
- respect diversity, multiculturalism, and the natural environment,
- demonstrate social, professional, and moral responsibility and sensitivity to gender issues,
- view themselves as well as others critically,
- promote free, inductive, and deductive thinking
Program Tuition Fee
The enormous growth in biological sciences over the last decades and the anticipated continuation of this course in the foreseeable future will continue to offer many opportunities to our Ph.D. graduates. The Ph.D. graduates of the Biomedical Sciences may be employed in both the private and the public sectors, as well as in research/academic laboratories as postdoctoral fellows. Developing fields that require an increasing demand for specialized personnel trained in modern biomedical techniques include diagnostic laboratories, the food and medical biotechnology sector, and the drug development and surveillance sector. Finally, employment in the higher education sector is also a possibility.