PhD in Applied Mathematics
University of Johannesburg
Johannesburg, South Africa
ZAR 20,405 / per year *
Earliest start date
* average fee. Additional fees may apply
The purpose of the Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics is to provide qualifying students with an in-depth understanding and integrated knowledge of advanced applicable theory in the field of applied mathematics. A Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics is a pure science-based research study that requires candidates to demonstrate high-level research capability and make a significant and original academic contribution at the frontiers of the discipline of specialization.
Reasons for studying at UJ
- UJ offers not only a special program called the First Year Experience to help orientate students throughout the first year but we also offer a Senior Student Experience that gears students toward the workplace!
- Grab the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports and train alongside Olympians and Paralympians on state-of-the-art pitches, tracks, and fields, or just keep fit by joining one of the gyms on each of our 4 campuses.
- Be part of a young, vibrant, and agile university that reflects and adapts easily to our country’s aspirations, while maintaining global relevance through numerous international partnerships.
- 178 Internationally respected and accepted qualifications.
- Join a university that cares enough to have raised over R300 million since the start of 2016 in order to support the Missing Middle Campaign. UJ also ensures that more than 6 000 needy students have two healthy meals per day.
- Study in the vibrant City of Gold – the economic hub of South Africa. Join a vibrant, cosmopolitan, progressive group of students and academics on their way to re-imagining the future!
- UJ offers an amazing on-campus experience whether you live in one of UJ’s residences, belong to a day house, or whether you just want to socialize at the Student Centres on all campuses.
- We ensure the health, safety, and security of all our students through our own on-campus health services and UJ Protection Services.
- Did you know that during the first five years of UJ’s existence it doubled its targeted research output and to this day, continues to break records!
The PhD in Applied Mathematics demands a very high level of intellectual, theoretical and practical specialized science knowledge and insight into problems related to the field of study and of the application of advanced experimental methods and techniques of the modern research, as well as of fundamental scientific and academic values in generating, processing, interpreting and presenting research data orally and in written form.
The doctoral study programme comprises a thesis which makes an original contribution to the research field approved for the study.
Please note: Admission to the Doctoral programme is subject to approval by the Department.
- World Rankings: 601-700 in the world / 5th in South Africa and 6th in Africa
- Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (GRAS):
Hospitality & Tourism Management: 18th in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Sociology: Top 150 in the world, 1st and only one ranked in South Africa and Africa
Public Administration: Top 150 in the world, 1st and only one ranked in South Africa and Africa
Education: Top 300 in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Earth Sciences: Top 300 in the world, 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Geography: Top 300 in the world, 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Chemical Engineering: Top 400 in the world, joint 1st in South Africa and Africa
Political Sciences: Top 400 in the world, 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Physics: Top 400 in the world, 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Management: Top 500 in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Ecology: Top 500 in the world
Quacquarelli Symonds (QS)
- World Rankings: 434 in the world, in the Top 1.4% / 3rd in South Africa and Africa
- Subject Rankings:
English Language & Literature: Top 250 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Chemical Engineering: Top 350 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa, and joint 4th in Africa
Education & Training: Top 350 in the world, 5th in South Africa and Africa
Economics & Econometrics: Top 400 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa, and joint 5th in
Africa Agriculture & Forestry: Top 400 in the world, 6th in South Africa
Physics & Astronomy: Top 450 in the world, joint 2nd in South Africa, and joint 3rd in Africa
Environmental Sciences: Top 450 in the world, 6th in South Africa and Africa
Chemistry: Top 500 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa, and joint 6th in Africa
Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering: Top 500 in the world, 5th in South Africa
Medicine: Top 650 in the world
- QS Graduate Employability Rankings:
Top 500 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa
Times Higher Education (THE)
- World Rankings: 601-800 in the world / Joint 7th in South Africa
- Subject Rankings:
Law: Top 201+ in the world, joint 4th in South Africa and Africa
Education: Top 300 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Psychology: Top 400 in the world, joint 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Arts & Humanities: Top 400 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Social Sciences: Top 400 in the world, 4th in South Africa and Africa
Life Sciences: Top 500 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa, and joint 5th in Africa
Business & Economics: Top 600 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa, and joint 6th in Africa
Engineering & Technology: Top 600 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa
Clinical & Health: Top 600 in the world
Computer Science: Top 800 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa
Physical Sciences: Top 800 in the world
- THE Young University Rankings: 173 among young universities, 4th in South Africa
- THE Emerging Economies University Rankings: 116 among universities in emerging economies, 7th in South Africa
US News & World Report’s Best Global Universities Rankings (BGUR)
- World Rankings: 378 in the world / 5th in South Africa and Africa
- Subject Rankings:
Geosciences: 222 in the world, 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Chemistry: 280 in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Social Sciences & Public Health: 287 in the world, 5th in South Africa and Africa
Physics: 289 in the world, 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Engineering: 392 in the world, 2nd in South Africa, and 4th in Africa
Plant & Animal Science: 424 in the world
Environment/Ecology: 463 in the world
- Apply knowledge, theory and research methodologies, and research methods/techniques creatively to complex practical, theoretical, and epistemological problems.
- Produce substantial, independent, in-depth, and publishable work which is judged new and/or innovative by peers and makes a significant contribution to the area of specialization.
- Operate independently and take full responsibility for their own work and its consequences and also assume significant accountability for the work of others.
- Demonstrate intellectual independence, research leadership, and management of advanced research and research development in the science area of specialization.
- Demonstrate advanced information retrieval and processing skills, using appropriate Information Communication Technology (ICT).
- Demonstrate a comprehensive, systematic, and integrated grasp of the relevant specialist knowledge and expertise at the forefront of the science field and professional area of specialization.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the most advanced research methodologies, methods/ techniques, and technologies in the discipline/field of specialization and participate in scholarly debates at the forefront thereof.
- Evaluate their own and others’ work on the basis of independent criteria.
- Present and communicate the results of research and opinion using the full resources of an academic/professional discourse.
- Operate autonomously in science specialized, complex, unpredictable, or new contexts and identify and address emerging ethical issues.
- Use a wide range of complex skills in identifying, conceptualizing, designing, and implementing research projects that address complex and challenging problems at the forefront of the discipline/field of specialization.
- Independently undertake a study and evaluate literature/scientific data and current research in the area of specialization.
- Produce a thesis that meets international standards of scholarly/professional writing.