PhD in Metallurgical Engineering University of Johannesburg
The purpose of the Ph.D. in Metallurgical Engineering is to develop an engineer with advanced abilities in applying fundamental engineering sciences and/design and synthesis, and related principles independently to specific problems of society at large. One of the main objectives in this process is to develop an advanced capability to conduct fundamental engineering research of an original nature. It also promotes a lifelong learning approach and an aptitude for training other students in similar fields.
Reasons for studying at UJ
- UJ offers not only a special program called the First Year Experience to help orientate students throughout the first year but we also offer a Senior Student Experience that gears students toward the workplace!
- Grab the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports and train alongside Olympians and Paralympians on state-of-the-art pitches, tracks, and fields, or just keep fit by joining one of the gyms on each of our 4 campuses.
- Be part of a young, vibrant, and agile university that reflects and adapts easily to our country’s aspirations, while maintaining global relevance through numerous international partnerships.
- 178 Internationally respected and accepted qualifications.
- Join a university that cares enough to have raised over R300 million since the start of 2016 in order to support the Missing Middle Campaign. UJ also ensures that more than 6 000 needy students have two healthy meals per day.
- Study in the vibrant City of Gold – the economic hub of South Africa. Join a vibrant, cosmopolitan, progressive group of students and academics on their way to re-imagining the future!
- UJ offers an amazing on-campus experience whether you live in one of UJ’s residences, belong to a day house, or whether you just want to socialize at the Student Centres on all campuses.
- We ensure the health, safety, and security of all our students through our own on-campus health services and UJ Protection Services.
- Did you know that during the first five years of UJ’s existence it doubled its targeted research output and to this day, continues to break records!
Conferment of the degree
The Ph.D.: Metallurgy will be conferred on students who have completed the research seminar and thesis successfully.
- P6MT110 Thesis: Metallurgy semester 1
- P6MT210 Thesis: Metallurgy semester 2
- World Rankings: 601-700 in the world / 5th in South Africa and 6th in Africa
- Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (GRAS):
Hospitality & Tourism Management: 18th in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Sociology: Top 150 in the world, 1st and only one ranked in South Africa and Africa
Public Administration: Top 150 in the world, 1st and only one ranked in South Africa and Africa
Education: Top 300 in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Earth Sciences: Top 300 in the world, 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Geography: Top 300 in the world, 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Chemical Engineering: Top 400 in the world, joint 1st in South Africa and Africa
Political Sciences: Top 400 in the world, 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Physics: Top 400 in the world, 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Management: Top 500 in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Ecology: Top 500 in the world
Quacquarelli Symonds (QS)
- World Rankings: 434 in the world, in the Top 1.4% / 3rd in South Africa and Africa
- Subject Rankings:
English Language & Literature: Top 250 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Chemical Engineering: Top 350 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa, and joint 4th in Africa
Education & Training: Top 350 in the world, 5th in South Africa and Africa
Economics & Econometrics: Top 400 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa, and joint 5th in
Africa Agriculture & Forestry: Top 400 in the world, 6th in South Africa
Physics & Astronomy: Top 450 in the world, joint 2nd in South Africa, and joint 3rd in Africa
Environmental Sciences: Top 450 in the world, 6th in South Africa and Africa
Chemistry: Top 500 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa, and joint 6th in Africa
Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering: Top 500 in the world, 5th in South Africa
Medicine: Top 650 in the world
- QS Graduate Employability Rankings:
Top 500 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa
Times Higher Education (THE)
- World Rankings: 601-800 in the world / Joint 7th in South Africa
- Subject Rankings:
Law: Top 201+ in the world, joint 4th in South Africa and Africa
Education: Top 300 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Psychology: Top 400 in the world, joint 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Arts & Humanities: Top 400 in the world, joint 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Social Sciences: Top 400 in the world, 4th in South Africa and Africa
Life Sciences: Top 500 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa, and joint 5th in Africa
Business & Economics: Top 600 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa, and joint 6th in Africa
Engineering & Technology: Top 600 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa
Clinical & Health: Top 600 in the world
Computer Science: Top 800 in the world, joint 4th in South Africa
Physical Sciences: Top 800 in the world
- THE Young University Rankings: 173 among young universities, 4th in South Africa
- THE Emerging Economies University Rankings: 116 among universities in emerging economies, 7th in South Africa
US News & World Report’s Best Global Universities Rankings (BGUR)
- World Rankings: 378 in the world / 5th in South Africa and Africa
- Subject Rankings:
Geosciences: 222 in the world, 2nd in South Africa and Africa
Chemistry: 280 in the world, 1st in South Africa and Africa
Social Sciences & Public Health: 287 in the world, 5th in South Africa and Africa
Physics: 289 in the world, 3rd in South Africa and Africa
Engineering: 392 in the world, 2nd in South Africa, and 4th in Africa
Plant & Animal Science: 424 in the world
Environment/Ecology: 463 in the world
The qualified student will be able to:
- Identify, assess, formulate, interpret, analyze and solve engineering research/development problems of an original nature creatively and innovatively by applying relevant advanced fundamental knowledge of i.e. Mathematics, Basic Science, and Engineering Sciences in the chosen field of research.
- Plan and manage advanced research projects, demonstrating fundamental knowledge, understanding, and insight into the principles, methodologies, and concepts that constitute socially responsible (to local and other communities) engineering research/development in the chosen field of research practice.
- Work effectively, individually or with others, as a member of a team, group, organization, and the community or in multi-disciplinary environments in the chosen field of research.
- Organise and manage him/herself and his/her activities responsibly, effectively, professionally, and ethically, accept responsibility within his/her limits of competence, and exercise original judgment based on knowledge and expertise, pertaining to the field of research.
- Plan and conduct advanced investigations, research, and/or experiments of an original nature by applying or developing appropriate theories and methodologies and performing appropriate data analysis and interpretation.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with engineering and specifically research audiences and the community at large, in so far as they are affected by the research, using appropriate structure, style, and graphical support.
- Use and assess appropriate advanced inter-disciplinary research methods, skills, and information technology effectively and critically in engineering research/development practice and show responsibility for the impact of engineering research/development activities on society and the environment.
- Perform procedural and non-procedural design and synthesis of components systems, works, products, or processes as a set of related systems and assess their social, legal, health, safety, and environmental impact and benefits, where applicable, in the chosen field of interdisciplinary research.
- Employ various learning and research strategies and skills to master outcomes required for preparing him/herself to engage in continuous learning and research, to keep abreast of knowledge and skills required in the engineering management research/development field.
- Participate as a responsible citizen in the life of local, national, and global communities by acting professionally and ethically in the chosen field of research.
- Demonstrate, where applicable, cultural and aesthetic sensitivity across a range of social contexts in the execution of engineering research/development activities.
- Explore, where applicable, education and career opportunities in advanced engineering research/development.
- Organize and develop, where applicable, entrepreneurial opportunities through engineering, technical research, development, and/or managerial skills.