Ph.D. in Energy Engineering
University of North Dakota College of Engineering and Mines
Grand Forks, USA
Distance Learning, On-Campus
3 - 6 years
USD 13,833 / per year *
Earliest start date
* North Dakota residents: $13.833,12 the academic year. US non resident: $19.881,36. International students: $25.929,60. Online: $854,78 per credit
Lead the way in tackling today's pressing energy problems with a high-quality graduate engineering education at UND
The world’s energy problems are significant, and require the most advanced research and the top minds to solve them. As a world leader in energy-related research and education, you’ll benefit from one of the strongest doctoral programs in energy engineering.
Why earn a Ph.D. in energy engineering at UND?
Today's energy-strapped world needs leaders with the highest level of knowledge and research expertise. This University of North Dakota graduate program focuses on energy engineering fundamentals, along with independent research and career preparation. You will have the flexibility to earn your degree online or on campus and to customize your doctoral program according to your greatest interests.
UND is a world leader in energy-related research and education. You'll benefit from a strong doctoral program that will help you:
- Master fundamental topics in energy engineering and be able to apply them to research problems with practical significance.
- Be proficient at research, with the skills you need to formulate, assess and document a hypothesis.
- Be proficient at designing, conducting and managing independent energy or energy-related research project.
- Broaden your opportunities in a variety of energy-related industries, or choose a career path in academia.
Research Opportunities in Energy Engineering
You'll have the opportunity to perform research ranging from fundamental to applied – including technology development, demonstration, and commercialization efforts.
Research interest falls into the following broad categories:
- Stationary power generation including increasing energy efficiency from existing and new systems, renewable energy systems, clean coal technologies, carbon sequestration and hydrogen production.
- Production of liquid and gaseous fuels (ethanol, biodiesel, hydrogen, methane for example) and specialty chemicals from biomass, fossil fuels and other resources, including infrastructure development.
- Transmission and distribution systems, including approaches to integrate distributed generation produced from renewable resources.
- Environmental cleanup and protection of air, water and soil focusing on energy and industrial generated sources.
- Integration of social, political, regulatory and legal into the development and implementation of new technologies.
Energy Engineering at UND
- Gain extensive expertise in a specialization (track), as well as proficiency in executing on energy-related research.
- Develop the expertise and research proficiency to invent and develop new energy technologies and future advances.
- Work with faculty from related disciplines to create the interdisciplinary and integrative research paradigms needed for comprehensive research.
- Choose research projects of interest to your company, allowing you to work on your doctoral degree without leaving your current job.
- Participate in research conducted with the Institute for Energy Studies or in collaboration with the world-renowned Energy & Environmental Research Center.
Careers in Energy Engineering
- $68K: The median salary for an energy engineer (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- 10%: The top 10% in the field make a median salary of $91,000, not including potential bonuses, profit-sharing, and commission benefits (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
A doctoral degree in energy engineering offers you the widest range of opportunities, from top positions at global energy leaders, to government agencies, to opportunities in higher learning. Many may choose to enter the field of academia as a professor or senior researcher.
UND graduates with doctoral degrees in energy engineering have gone onto careers in top regional and global energy firms. Some of the biggest companies hiring energy engineers today include:
- Schneider Electric
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.