The Botswana International University of Science and Technology is a Government of Botswana supported institution established through the BIUST Act (CAP 57:05) as a research-intensive University that specializes in Engineering, Science and Technology at both undergraduate and graduate (Master’s and Doctoral) levels. It is located on an expansive and ecologically diverse 2,500-hectare site of gently sloping land in the Tswapong Hills, south-east of Palapye.
The University is a national strategic initiative that is intended to serve as one of the key platforms for transforming Botswana’s economy from being resource based to knowledge-based through skills capacity building in Engineering, Science, and Technology. Because of its research emphasis, BIUST works with the private sector to meet emerging skills needs of the industry, as well as identifies challenges that can be solved through applied research.
The University’s curriculum takes into account the needs of the private sector and is driven by the mission of BIUST to contribute to the development of the economy towards a knowledge-based economy through research. BIUST provides the best teaching and learning environment for students, professors, and researchers.
The University hopes to develop a Science, Engineering, and Technology Research Park that would attract local, regional and international researchers to its campus. At full capacity, BIUST will enroll approximately 6,000 (six thousand) full-time equivalent (FTE) students, including Undergraduate, MSc and Ph.D. students.
- To provide higher education and training;
- To undertake, promote and facilitate research and scholarly investigations;
- To advance and disseminate knowledge and skills through teaching, learning, and practical skills training;
- To contribute to national and international scientific and technological development;
- To support and contribute to the realization of national economic and social development; contribute to the cultural and social life of the community; and
- To advance the intellectual and human resources capacity of the international community.
To be a premier research-based university of Science, Engineering & Technology internationally recognized for the quality and excellence of its teaching and learning; research and innovation and engagement.
- Produce world-class research and innovation in Science, Engineering and Technology contributing to industry growth, development and advancement of a diversified knowledge-based economy.
- Produce tomorrow’s leaders in industry and society through the provision of relevant, innovative, quality research-intensive education of an international standard.
- Promote community, national, regional and international development through the transfer of the University’s knowledge and the provision of its skills and expertise.
- Sincerity and Trust
- Equality and Diversity
- High performance and Quality
- A quest for knowledge and understanding
- Engagement for Development
- Research and Innovation Excellence
- Academic Quality and Student Reputation
- High-Performance Organisation driven by cutting-edge Institutional Capabilities
Palapye, Central District, Botswana