The Institute of Informatics, Slovak Academy of Sciences is the accredited external educational institution for postgraduate doctoral studies in the study program “Applied informatics” 9.2.9 (the agreement with FIIT STU). As part of the study program, students will be involved in research in the area of artificial intelligence, data science, deep learning, deep neural networks, speech recognition, natural language processing, and more.
Among the other research activities of the institute belong also swarm robotics, bio-inspired optimization methods and algorithms, computer vision and signal processing.
II SAS has a rich international cooperation within the European research area focused mainly on, but not limited to, service-oriented distributed computing, knowledge-oriented technologies and spoken language processing technology for a long period of EC 5th-7th Framework Programmes and HORIZON 2020. The Institute has successfully completed a number of projects within the framework programmes during the period 2008-2011: 4 projects of FP7, 5 projects of FP6. The Institute successfully continued to gain fundings for the projects within HORIZON 2020. All students will have the opportunity to work on research and scientific projects and cooperation with our partners in practice.
IISAS is a publisher of an international scientific journal Computing and Informatics.
Ph.D. thesis for academic year 2018/2019 can be found at:
The further details and the enrolment procedure is described in
Studying at the Institute of Informatics SAS has the following benefits:
- Working with up-to-date technologies and access to a powerful computing cluster of the II SAS.
- Involvement in research projects at national and international levels.
- Cooperation in the production of interesting applications for practice.
- International mobility, financial coverage of travel expenses for active participation in international conferences.
- Ph.D. internship at foreign scientific institutions.
- The possibility of accommodation in a boarding house of SAS (in Devinska Nova Ves, 15 min. by bus from II SAS) in renovated apartments for a good price (75 € / month).
- A scholarship for the academic year 2016/2017 was
a) scholarship at least € 561.50 (before completing a state degree exam) + possibility of a surcharge when working on projects,
b) scholarship at least € 646.50 (after completing a state degree exam) + possibility of a surcharge when working on projects.
- Bonus for a successful Dissertation thesis defense.
Other employee benefits
- Flexible work schedule, weekly working time of 37,5 hours
- Additional 5 paid vacation days
- Advantageous reimbursement of sick leave
- Bonuses for publications and year-end bonuses
- Bonuses or incentives for publications (according to evaluation by the Scientific board of II SAS)
- Recreational options – holiday stay in the Congress center in Smolenice, the Academia Congress center in Stará Lesná
- Teambuilding activities (an institutional field day e.g. in Smolenice castle)
The institute offers programs in:
Programs taught in:
- English (US)