Syracuse University is a private research university of extraordinary academics, distinctive offerings, and an undeniable spirit.
With a gorgeous campus in the heart of New York State, a global footprint, and nearly 150 years of history, our university is made for those who want a quintessential college experience. Proudly selective, we take a chance on people who dream big. This is where you come to cheer, to grow, to become the person you want to be.
The scope of our university is a testament to its strengths: a pioneering history dating to 1870; a choice of more than 200 majors and 100 minors; nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students; more than a quarter-million alumni in 160 countries; and a student population from all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries.
So get to know us a little better, and see for yourself the people and places that make us Syracuse University.
As the liberal arts college at the center of a major research institution, the College of Arts and Sciences stands as the intellectual heart and soul of Syracuse University providing a highly-personalized academic experience. The College prepares each student for success as a citizen of the world through disciplinary and interdisciplinary teaching and learning, research, scholarship, and service on campus and around the world.
Internationally recognized faculty and outstanding staff work to engage students in a research-driven, dynamic, innovative liberal arts experience to ensure academic achievement and lifelong success.
- Unity: As Syracuse’s founding college, Arts and Sciences is the intellectual and academic hub; it's the one experience shared by all undergraduates at the University.
- Personalization: The College believes in the value of a personalized, liberal arts education—one that emphasizes knowledge across a wide spectrum, the critical analysis of information, and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Preparedness: The College of Arts and Sciences at Syracuse University provides its students with a foundation of skills and knowledge that can be applied to many academic pursuits and career paths. Employers and graduate schools value one's ability to solve problems, adapt to change, collaborate with others, and work across disciplines—all basic tenets of liberal arts that prepare students not only for job placement but for success and for life.
- Opportunity: The College, through its three divisions in the sciences and mathematics, humanities, and social sciences, offers more than 50 majors, 40 minors, and 30 Masters and Ph.D. programs. The College also offers selected studies, independent study, a number of dual and combined degree programs, and Integrated Learning Majors as well as interdisciplinary degree options with the University’s professional schools and colleges at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Interdisciplinarity: We are home to more than a third of all the University’s undergraduates and faculty, some of whom enjoy the benefits of affiliations with the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, the S.I. Newhouse School for Public Communications, and other units on campus.
- Exploration: Our classrooms have no walls; faculty and students conduct research all over the world. By connecting academic and intellectual pursuits with personal interests, we provide students with broadly applicable skill sets designed for long-term success.
- Citizenship: The College prepares students to assume their leadership roles in society by encouraging students to embrace the diversity and richness of peoples, cultures, and natural processes in the world.
- Excellence: Rigorous courses of study across our three academic divisions provide students with critical skills that help them launch successful careers in a vast array of fields. Many undergraduates augment their experience with one or more dual-degree or interdisciplinary options. Our high caliber programs guide students to think critically, communicate effectively, and solve problems creatively, across the disciplines, underscoring our personalized and integrated approach to learning. Arts and Sciences students are as smart and imaginative as they are nimble and resourceful.
- Mentorship: Mentored by nationally and internationally renowned scholars, writers, and scientists, students are immersed in a rigorous environment of academic research, scholarship, and creativity where they develop the tools and skills needed to effect change and generate new knowledge and ideas in their chosen fields.
- Curiosity: In the College, close attention is paid to scholarship clusters and cross-campus collaborative initiatives, all of which are enhanced by our signature Liberal Arts Core. Witness our large, distinguished faculty; diverse and talented student body; myriad of strategic partnerships, on and off campus; and many cross-disciplinary ventures (e.g., The Renée Crown University Honors Program, The Syracuse University Humanities Center, the Mellon-sponsored Central New York Humanities Corridor, and the Forensic and National Security Sciences Institute).
- Innovation: Emerging areas of interdisciplinary excellence centered within the College include the fields of nanoscience and nanotechnology, biomedicine, neuroscience, humanities in the digital age, and climate change and sustainability.
College of Arts and Sciences
The intellectual heart and soul of Syracuse University, the College of Arts and Sciences provides a highly personalized liberal arts experience, preparing students for a lifetime of success.
Visit the College
Home to more than one-third of all Syracuse students, the College of Arts and Sciences houses nearly two dozen departments and three dozen interdisciplinary programs in the sciences, mathematics, humanities, and social sciences. The College of Arts and Sciences stands as the intellectual center of Syracuse University and is committed to internationally recognized research and innovative instruction with an emphasis on disciplinary rigor, creative interdisciplinarity, as well as ethical engagement with issues of social justice and global citizenship. We engage students in a research-driven, dynamic, innovative liberal arts experience to ensure academic achievement and lifelong success.
We welcome, support, and challenge all students in the College of Arts and Sciences to realize their fullest intellectual and personal potential. While all students are capable, active agents of their own development, we are here to assist students in defining and creating their academic pursuits and extracurricular activities to maximize their undergraduate experience and pave the way for long-term career success.
NY 13244 Syracuse, New York, USA